Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting with Chronic Pain and Health Issues

Sometimes I am at my wit's end. I feel like a horrible parent. My son is only two years old, and I've had rheumatoid arthritis since I was about five. I spent my childhood going in and out of remission. Along with rheumatoid arthritis, I have frequent migraines and chronic insomnia. I have been on every medication under the sun, and I am physically dependent on some of my medications to function. I wish it was different. My life went downhill after my son was born. Being emotionally and physically drained has taken a serious toll on my health. A day of swimming leaves me unable to really take him outside to play for a few days. Sometimes I feel as if I'm being unfair to him by not giving him to someone else to raise. He is happy, healthy, but I fear what the future might hold if things don't improve. I fear I'll scar him somehow or hinder him in life. I don't have much help from his dad. How can I be a better mom and sick?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (2)
  • While my situation is not the same as yours, when my S1/L5 pain was at its worse i was scared for the future too. Mine has since improved, but I remember that feeling. My advice - seek out a new specialist. Maybe they will have a fresh perspective on treatment. I got stuck with a pain managment doctor and that was exactly what he was... a bandaid. I got with someone else who took a different approach and it made a world of difference. Good luck!

    Answer by karamille at 5:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

  • I'd get 2nd opinions, there has to be something out there to at last help with the migranes. I take a daily pill topamax, and I use to gt severe , throw up headaches. Now occasioally when I start to get a headache I take Excedrin migraine and it really helps. Ask your Dr. I still get a migrane now & then, but nothing like before, there has to be some specialist to help you start to live ag. The arthritis ag see a specialist, you need a good quality of life. Plus, tell your S/O your worried for your son and could he pls be more helpful even for a little in the evening & weekends. Do you have family that can help? I hope you find some relief. Good luck.

    Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.