For you homeschooling mommies..

Do any of you have your children enrolled in one of the free public online schools? I was trying to find more info on about how this works. With daddy being in the military it is possible my son will want to follow in his steps at some point and I know that the military does not recognize "personally made diplomas" that they want official transcripts. Please any advice on this would be great!

vampiremommy1

Asked by vampiremommy1 at 5:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• We have not used the public schools online. But I know there are a bunch of moms in the Happy Homeschoolers group here on Cafemom that use the public schools online. I recommend joining that group. Good luck!
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 5:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• When you enroll in your state funded program you should be able to get a transcript. Ohio Virtual Academy uses the K12 system. It is PUBLIC SCHOOL just online. Call your state funded program and ask, will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We go through Ohio Virtual Academy and yes they do supply an actual diploma I have a few friends that have put their traditional hs child into online public school for High School for this reason
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 5:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Go to http://www.k12.com/

They have public on-line charter schools in many areas. Your child is enrolled in a public school, there are regular transcripts etc. We are currently enrolled inthe California Virtual Academy (CAVA).

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I have looked at this site.. thank you ladies! I got this site as well as the group here on cafemom from a few other moms on another question I posted that actually has a decent debate going right now if you would like to join in.

My biggest question with this, is my husband being in the military and us moving, every move do we have to transfer and re-enroll him in a new online school in that state? Or since it is online can he remain in the one we initially pick?
    vampiremommy1

Comment by vampiremommy1 (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010