Is $3000-$5000 enough to start over in a new city? I'm the one whose husband just "came out of the closet". Please help!

I'm going through a divorce and saving $$$...I need to get out soon. Rent will be $800 and I have two small kids. I will also have friends and family near that can help in ways other than financial. I will be making $1600 a month + $500 a month in child support. Please help!

What else do I need to be remembering to start our lives over?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• depends on the city where are u going
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think it really depends on where you're starting over. I bet it would be ok, unless you're going to a more expensive city to live in
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 5:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• 1300. after rent and you say you will have help in other ways, sounds to me like you can do it.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• any new furniture you may need if he is getting any of it? all your deposits on lights, water, cable, apartment, daycare?
    JaelynS

Answer by JaelynS at 5:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Why is he not moving out and letting you stay in the house with the kids?

I left my home with everything I owned in my car and my 10 y/o son. We drove 1600 miles to a towm where we knew no one and nothing. I had no money. Find a shelter or a fire station or police station and they can help you get on your feet.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Depends on the city.

In my city, especially in my neighborhood. Most likely not.
    In other cities, it may be do-able.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yeah, my question too, why are you the one moving? Make a list of all the things you are initially going to need. Hit the thrift stores for the rest. I wish you all the luck...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Depends where your moving too, but why is he getting the house? And you also need to remember you will be getting child support. Good luck and "Hug"
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 5:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Is there a reason why he can't move out instead? You have the kids and stuff so wouldn't it be easier? Or are you moving in with family? It sucks he came out after the fact. I hope you're able to pick up the pieces and make work out.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 6:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I'd call all utility companies where you are going and make sure you don't have to pay deposits then add up the rent that you will have to pay and car payment & insurance premiums, clothes and supplies for the kids for school. How far away from work will you have to drive will determine gas costs. Add in cost of day care and food and laundry. You can make it ok if you budget

Answer by admckenzie at 6:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2010