have you choosen to not tell your kids what a period is until a certain age?

If so - what age and why??

I guess I have never understood this idea. All my kids, even the son, knew that women bled from between their legs once a month, that it was no big deal and something natural. I answered questions as they came up, honestly and age appropriately. I guess I just never understood the rational for hiding what is natural.

Im asking because we have a 6th grade boy here who has NO idea that girls even go through puberty... WTH? What is the purpose of that???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I began taking to my daughter at 8 about her period and even younger about her body. When I was a girl, my mom did not tell me anything about me period and when it came...imagine my shock...I thought I did something wrong and God was punishing me.
    cyndimcd

Answer by cyndimcd at 5:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• i agree with you
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I'll tell him things as he asks,but he'll definitely know before 6th grade!
    Some parents think by not telling their kids about sex and what their bodies go through,that they will not have sex before marriage.Ridiculous if you ask me.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I started my period early, right before I turned 10. So I know that I will need to have a more indept conversation with my seven y.o. soon. But she already knows I bleed every month.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 5:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I've alreay told my 4 and 5 year old. They asked what a tampon was because they saw it. And that led me to explain. They've asked other questions too. I don't think it's too much to tell them. It was pretty simple. And they smiled said OH and live went on lol. Wasn't a big deal.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 5:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I agree with you.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I am open and honest and tell them as they ask questions, don't give them too much information, but tell them what they are asking and at their level. Name body parts their proper names from the begining. With that gardisil shot it has been earlier, at least that is what i have found 7-8.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My kids know everything they need to know for puberty. They are 6 and 7 yo girls. They know a lot about the birds and the bees as I want them to know things before other kids talk. Of course we haven't talked about BC or STDs yet but they know where babies come from and such. I don't understand why you wouldn't talk to kids about it.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I didnt and still dont have a set age in my mind.I take it as it comes.I waited until my son began asking me a lot of questions about how babies were made and such. Recently, I went to the library and got out some books on puberty and how babies are made. Now, this part is funny...hehe..there was a picture of a boy and a girl and it was showing all the different inside and outside parts.I was pointing out all the girl parts and telling him the function..and of course..I tell him about the egg and once a month a girl passes an unfertilized egg and bleeds for up to a week.My SON freaks out and says, "OH MY GOD,I'M going to bleed every month?!?" I laughed so hard, I said not to worry, the girls take on that part..boy was he relieved,LOL.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My daughter freaked out When she was about 15 months old because she saw I was bleeding(she always comes with me to the bathroom,and yeah, she looks in the toilet). I explained that it was okay and normal for mommy to do that. That it happens once a month and one day it'll happen to her too. Every month I explain that. She's okay with it now. Mostly. She's almost 2.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2010