Workable Stay at home jobs? Just ideas, nothing else

I don't want all the internet crap. I really need ideas for legitimate businesses from home that I can do that won't cost me a cent to start. Please don't try to sell it to me, just tell me what is working for you.

Thanks!

mommyof2moons

Asked by mommyof2moons at 5:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• Do you have any skills you can capitalize on? Like sewing or photography? I had an alterations business from my home for years before we moved. Just one idea............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I am an artist. I can't seem to get to my paintings. My profile picture is one of them... But, I have been trying for years to make it work, I just think that when my kids get older I can pick it up again. Even though I have about 5 pieces I need to finish and they are lining up... I am still trying to finish the 2 paintings since last Christmas... Due to the baby I watched during the week. It was too hard.
    mommyof2moons

Comment by mommyof2moons (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• watching kids in your home
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• PIOG, I got a letter from my sons college, (thinking he was an incoming freshman, not that he had graduated) a NEW service for students. For the bargain price of $798 for two semesters, he could have his laundry washed, dried, folded and delivered. That is for 3 loads per week. If you have a washer and a dryer and live near either a college or a military base, you could take in laundry Make up some inexpensive home printed business cards and post them around the college or the base.  If you do not have base access, you can have the service person drop off the laundry at your home, or meet them in a parking lot. If you get 20 customers, you will make about $16,000. I am sure that will more then offset your water, power and detergent costs. I posted what the college will do in the group, "Frugal and Thrifty Moms" under "What an idea" Good luck.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 6:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Boy, if you could focus on the art! I have a cousin who does note cards and sells them. You could try something small like that. Or have you looked at ETSY? ...........http://www.etsy.com Could you sell artwork there? Or maybe hand painted throw pillows, or anything like it? Google " art marketing" and see what comes up, but don't give any money to anyone! These are just ideas floating around in my head.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I did the zazzle thingy... The only people that bought stuff from me, was my family... lol So, I still have it up there, but I am not adding anything. It has been over a year and no one else has purchased a single thing... I have better luck doing paintings for people, but they take soooo long, like I said. Those 2 paintings should have been done already. Maybe my husband is right. I should do my own paintings (what I like) and sell them. I just get tired of doing other people's pictures sometimes. I start losing the creativeness and get bored with them that I dread picking up the paint brush. I need something to inspire me again for it to work...like outdoor Northwoods stuff!
    mommyof2moons

Comment by mommyof2moons (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yes, I think you should paint what inspires you. Can you and DH go on a daytrip for a change of pace and with the idea of getting the creative juices flowing? Or can you go somewhere alone for a day? I have no idea what kind of community you live in, but are there any gift shops, etc that would let you display a couple of pieces when you get some done? Or maybe a restaurant? When we owned our reataurant we used to let a couple of people display their crafts/artwork.
    That's it for me today. Getting late here. Nice chatting with you. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely?
    You can search for jobs that match you skill set and have a telecommute option.
    If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). For more information, go to www.ivaa.org, www.iavoa.com, www.vanetworking.com ..
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization, I also do career and job search coaching

Answer by rkoloms at 9:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• PartyLite can be the answer for you, Start with no cash investment, Receive training and support every step along the way, No inventory, no deliveries, set your own hours, and have unlimited income potential. If you would like more information you can simply visit my website at www.partylite.biz/SimplySensational Good Luck with the search hope this helps!!! :)
    CandleQueen627

Answer by CandleQueen627 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• There are actually lots of things you can do from home, or home-based.   I have quite a few ideas and opportunities in my Blog:  Mavi's Home Work.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2010