The rules aren't enforced, ??? WHY??

Any rule is a good one when it's applied and tried. as for applying them, I've had to step in and act as dad. The role he plays is this way.......

Son picks at daughter --- dad>> "I'm going to smash your games and equipment!!!!!"

5 yrs later ---son still acts same, never disciplined and daughter is still screaming for defending herself. ---->>>dad " I'm going to smash you games and equipment!!!! and I'll do it, don't tempt me---blah blah { this is what son hears.....blah,blah,blah,blah...}
Meanwhile mom unhooks the machine.-game.-plugs-.discs.- son yells get outta my rooooom !!! When he leaves I'll take the whole set of games, psp, X-whatever and hide them.

Do you feel this is the way? I've gotten into arguements with d/h. He just buys him stuff,>threatens,> and walks away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• He probably doesn't want to "look like the bad guy" or something. It's not right but there has to be a "deeper" reason for why it is that way.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 6:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Your hubby is just lazy. Its much easier to just scream and threaten than to actually do something.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• The consequences need to be real. Can you and DH discuss and come up with realistic privileges to take away and agree to be together on it? Idle threats won't work. You don't mention ages of the kids. The teen years will be hell if you and DH are not on same page. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Has he ever heard : Say what you mean, Mean what you say, But don't say it mean? Maybe there is something in his childhood that has caused him to be this way. Example: My Mother beat me with a belt, so I didn't beat my kids, I yelled. something to think about and ask, but I have found there is usually one parent that is more the disciplinarian than the other, even if they don't want to be, just bec they HAVE to be.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• dear god! my husband plays x box and computer games (hate it!) but not even hell will stop me from keeping my kids away from that shit !! iwould get rid of it all and have him join a or valenteer ! it looks good on collage app any way GET HIM OUT OF THE HOUSE .. sounds like your husband need to get out to! you should sell the games and all get bikes and go fora nice ride at night "D good luck to you woman
    Zandrialeann

Answer by Zandrialeann at 12:04 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Poor lazy parenting. You can't just toss around threats and do nothing. a good rule of thumb? don't threaten anything you're not willing to actually do!
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 9:07 AM on Aug. 6, 2010