Do you support the withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan? Are you afraid for those people once we come home?

Afghan Women and the Return of the Taliban

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2007238,00.html#ixzz0vluijNG9

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Now is NOT the time for a withdrawal from Afghanistan.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I agree, this is NOT the time to leave... There are just to many risks for these people, even while we are still there... I would rather see us put in another 9 years that see us come home now and watch the little progress we helped put through simply backslide... These people do NOT deserve this treatment and leaving now only creates more issues for them!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yes I think we should withdraw. I hate the horrible things that are happening there.  I think it happens in a lot of countries.  I don't think we are going to be able change things.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 6:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I didn't support going into Afghanistan in the first place. We should have said 'give us Bin Laden' and when the Taliban said neener neener we should have completely leveled Kabul. Than we should have asked again. Repeat as necessary. We could have told the women and children to leave and forced the men to remain, but that's what should have been done.

I'm sick and tired of our troops risking their lives and/or dying to 'fix' problems in other countries. We could have hauled Bin Laden in, wiped out a good bit of the Taliban, and been done there years ago ~ and we should have. I've listened to crap from the anti-war people, lived with my husband and my son being there, and I'm sick of playing with these people. They are defective. If they really 'want' war that bad, give them a real one ~ not this PC crud that never ends.

Since we're there, we need to make sure it's stable before we pull out.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I say we bring our people home and mind our own business
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 6:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Bring the troops home.

In terms of the women....how do we fix that situation? Honestly? How do you change an entire culture without alienating the women even more? How about our own house?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• How short is the memory of our leaders ... or perhaps it's just that the media have the memory-capacity of a fruit-fly, and all the politicians ever worry about is what the media is going to say about their actions ...

Remember when the USSR was clobbering Afghanistan? Americans' indignation at the rained-down land-mines which looked like toys to the children and which killed or maimed so many of them (it was learned that it was a deliberate gambit to make their parents lose heart and give up fighting the Soviets)

The US could not openly support the Afghans, but the Soviet campaign was so heinous that US citizens called for action, and US strategists saw an opportunity for weakening the USSR. So we assisted them secretly. BUT - BUT - BUT, when the Soviets withdrew, the idiots in DC pulled out & left Afghan' a bombed-out rubble. The super-wealthy binLaden capitalized on this in the same way that gang leaders do - (cont'd
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• This is a very difficult situation. We shouldn't be there but as a compassionate nation we are and it's too hard to walk away now and leave these people to what atrocities will occur. I don't believe we can walk away without more damage but I personally want the troops home. I want them to come home to their families and jobs, but when will it ever be the right time? ~sigh.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 8:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• (cont'd) ... bin Laden took advantage the same way that gang leaders do in burnt-out urban areas where the young men have no constructive work to apply themselves to, and where society's fabric has been shredded.

Would you withdraw the police from devastated Detroit and turn it over for the criminals to prey upon the residents? Well, that's what we did with Afghanistan, only the Taliban are far worse than most American criminals. Americans realize that beating & killing and maiming women is wrong - the Taliban teach their young men and the children that it is religiously righteous to do so !

It was wrong to withdraw back then: many people decried the withdrawal, one congressman declared: "We f***d up the end-game".
    Those who dismissed their concern for the Afghan people with a shrug: "It's not our problem, not America's business" ARE THE VERY ONES WHO HANDED THE SILVER PLATTER TO BIN LADEN, AND 9/11 WAS THE RESULT.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 8:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2010