If you could not gain any weight throughout pregnancy and not hurt the baby, but you had to be really sick the whole time, would you do it?

A shout out to my hyperemesis moms, who gain little to no pregnancy weight, and whose babies are born at normal birth weights/healthy...the catch: they are really sick (needing IV hydration and nutrition, throwing up 10+ times a day, 24 hours a day for 26 -40 weeks of their pregnancies.)

So often we hear women complain about the weight gain that comes with pregnancy. If you could choose to have hyperemesis to avoid weight gain, would you?

abra

Asked by abra at 6:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I only gain about 10 pounds during pregnancy... and have never really been sick during my pregnancies.. So I guess I am just a lucky woman, lol.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 6:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• nope. I'd rather feel like a beach whale than throw up all the time:)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• no! that's crazy! I feel for ya!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't mind the weight gain..its when I start waddling and my boyfriend makes fun of me..thats what I don't like lol
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Nope. I gained 50lbs when I was pregnant, and my son will be 1 on Saturday and I've lost everything but 10 pounds. Yeah weight gain sucks, but I can deal with it and you can actually do something about it. There isn't really anything you can do to stop being sick all the time and throwing up. I enjoyed my pregnancy after the first trimester morning sickness went away. I wouldn't be able to deal with that the entire pregnancy.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Well i rather have gainged the weight! with my son i gainged 30lbs he was 7lbs 10oz i did pretty good! With my daughter i was super sick all the time for the whole 9 mos, i gainged 15lbs i thought i was gonna have a small baby but she was 8lbs 10oz and i was a 1lb lighter leaveing the hospital than i was b4 i was preg!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 6:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I had hyperemesis and still gained about 50 pounds. Turns out it was water weight though, and by the time my son was 2 weeks old, I weight 10 pounds less than when I got pregnant.

First time around... yes, I'd do it again. :) Second time around when I have to care for my first... nope.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I'm only 27 weeks pregnant, but I've been sick the pretty much the whole time and haven't gained any weight. It's nice to know the pay off will be weight loss as soon as my daughter is born, but I hope that my next pregnancy is a little easier. Weight loss is a little easier than throwing up
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• No - it was completely awful!

Answer by missanc at 7:03 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Nope. I think that is fun to have a baby belly. That is part of the joy of being pregnant.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 7:17 PM on Aug. 5, 2010