Filing for bankruptcy...

DH and I really need to file for bankruptcy. We are at the end of our rope. While DHs job pays the regular bills, that is all it pays. We have been trying for 3 years to pay on our debt to no avail. Now we have people coming after us, trying to sue. We can NOT afford to have his checks garnished and there are too many for us to pay on all at once.
The problem is, if DHs job is just barely paying the bills, how in the world are we supposed to come up with $1500 to pay for the lawyer? I am so frustrated and stressed out because of the finances, its really taking a toll on us.
If you have ever filed for bankruptcy, how did you pay for the lawyer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• call the attorney office and see if they can do a split fee or payment plan. Most BR lawyers work with you on it and it is depending on his Check stubs. ...
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 6:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I filed over 20 years ago, it only cost me $450. I did manage to keep my car and continued to pay on it. All the unsecured debt was erased. No one contested it in court. I was unable to get credit for almost 5 years and my life became a cash only thing. You have to list every asset you own, down to the clothes in your drawers. Your creditors have the right to be in court and contest. The Bankruptcy rules have changed and you may not be able to erase all your debt. Understand that going in. Your credit will also be destroyed because the notation of discharge of Bankruptcy will stay on your credit report for at least a decade. I wish you luck, and I hope it all works out. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• You might also try Googling your state and the words bar association. There are free services (pro bono) there. Now I don't know if some of the free services are for bankruptcy or not, but it might be worth a try. Read the website carefully as it may not be on the first page. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2010