What is your best small living space organiziational tip?

How do you fit into a small living space? Share your tricks:

abra

Asked by abra at 6:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have always lived in small spaces. Most likely always will. I don't personally see the point in having more space than I really need. LOL

Utilize wall space.

Don't keep things you don't need or really use.

Use space saving furniture options when possible. (to me personally, most furntiure is a waste of space and money.. LOL.. I don't really have things like sofas, chairs, etc in my home).

Utilize organizers in closets/cabinets/cupboards/shelves

Get everyone in the habit of picking up after themselves, (everything has a place and everything in it's place). The less clutter and mess the easier it is to live in a small space.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Get rid of things you don't use every day.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think step one is get rid of any stuff you don't need. After that look for storage in new places, like hang shoe organizers on the back of a door to store some things (not necessarily shoes). Use the spaces under beds and even behind the couch. I used to store my folding table behind my couch.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• utilize wall space. I have a "bookcase" in every room that things are orginized into baskets and clothe bins. Under my sons bed theres a nice amount of space so his toys have bins that slide under the bed into.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 6:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Under anything storage. Under your couch too if you can! I have these pretty Lang stacking boxes. Each one has needful things inside. Yet they're out and displayed and look pretty. There's many ways to make use of your spaces. Good Luck!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 7:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• i dunno anymore. we have officially outgrown our small house. i tend to find that a complete sweep of the house will reveal many things that are un-needed and un-used. get rid of them, donate them...i just did this. also baskets and bins for specific things will cut down on clutter. if everything has a home and you do your best to keep it there, you will find things to look and feel neater hence leaving more space for living. just rearranging things in general will help too. sometimes the placement of furniture can make a space smaller.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 6:35 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Great ideas.... Do what professional organizers do. Go through everything in your house and consider if you have touched it or used it in the last 6 months. If you haven't it might be time to let it go. We fill our lives and houses with so much stuff we don't really need. I did this and really cleaned things out. The only problem was that my husband wouldn't get rid of any of his stuff. Not one thing....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• oh and we bought a ottoman that is hollow and the top is a removable lid. we keep the kids games in that.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 6:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• book shelves
    under the bed storage! even if you have to buy those riser things to life the bed up.
    closet organizers that also have shelves

if you haven't used it in a year TOSS IT!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• *lift the bed LOL gotta love typos
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2010