HOW MANY MOMS OUT THERE THAT HAVE A CHILD WITH ADHD

MY SON HAD ADHD AND I WAS WONDERING HOW YOU DEAL WITH IT.WHAT MOTIVES DO U HAVE ..SO MAY BE I CAN DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT ..CAUSE MY SON GOES CRZY SUMTIMES.I CAN SAY LATELY HE HAS BEEN CHILLED .. BUT IF SO CAN U PLEASE GIVE ME SUM PIN POINTERS THANK YOU

jennie12345

Asked by jennie12345 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Aside from using meds during school, we adjusted our parenting techniques. We took a Love & Logic parenting class, and it made a huge difference. I think age is also working in our favor, as things have calmed down a lot as she has gotten older.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It's tough. We use medication. We recently switched from Ritilin to Vyvance and I notice a good difference. Hopefully this school year will go better. I try not to lose my patience, but that isn't easy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My daughter takes Methlin ER and it does wonders for mood swings for her. I also try to give warnings for transitions. Like in 5 minutes, you need to be in the bathtub. Dinner will be ready in 10 minutes. We're out the door in 5 minutes, gather your things you need. I find that kind of small thing helps us out alot.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 8:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My son has ADHD and I love him with my heart but he's driving me crazy! I know what our problem is and mostly it's that we've seen him have a hard time with kids and we give in alot when we see things going good (i.e. having friends over) but then he starts acting disrespectful to us (trying to be cool) and sometimes I think, he loves to get a reaction from us! Also, when you want to talk to him, (we have a DVR) we pause the T.V. and look him in the eye, and ask alot if he heard what we said or ask him to repeat what we said! That will make you realize he doesn't hear half the stuff we say to him anyway! ADHD can be extremely tiring, exhausting and definetly frustrating! I feel ya!
    mmartin030

Answer by mmartin030 at 11:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I out of desperation, bought Melatonin. It's totally safe because it is a natural sleep aid. I give him 1.5mg at night an hour before bedtime. He sleeps better and gets up in a better mood. He went from being a tangled mess in his bedding to waking up looking like he just layed down to sleep. I also noticed his grades change. I always use the first quarter of school as a base each school year and if things don't improve by the second quarter I know I need to re-evaluate and change things up to help him out. I found childzilla.com and use that to help track behavior as well as rewards that he earns. My son is very reward orientated. If he does something to earn something that he wants and it's worth his while, he'll do it no questions asked. I did learn for every 1 negative you give you have to give 3 positives. I also learned that I have to praise the good and try to pick my battles and ignore some of the bad. Except physical.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 12:08 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Medication should be a last resort. There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/.
    You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Magnesium supplements also help with focus; we use a cal/mag/D

Answer by rkoloms at 1:01 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• hugsDo NOT feel bad if you must go the medication route. I would NOT survive if I had not given into the doctor's requests to give medications. I have a 10 yr old dd and a 6yr old ds w/ADHD. Both take Melatonin 10 mgs at bedtime. It's herbal and works well. I have my dd seeing a thearpist plus the medication. My ds is a harder case and we are scrambling to get a medication to help. It's soooo hard dealing w/ADHD. I am going to level w/you,ppl who don't have a child w/ADHD HAVE NO IDEA what you are going through,as my dd's thearpist put it,they just CAN't. Check out ~CHAD~It's a group for ppl w/ADHD and parents..It's not really active in our area but it could be a good resource in yours.

momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 1:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2010