Have you ever given birth during a genital herpe outbreak?

Did the baby end up being okay or did it have some medical problems from it?
Did you give birth durign the outbreak because you didnt know you had herpes or didn't know any better?
If it wasn't you, was it someone you knew?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My sister had them and have to have a csection
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 7:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• you are not supposed to have a vaginal birth with herpes, it can spread to the baby, most Dr's wont let it happen
    abbi-lukesmom

Answer by abbi-lukesmom at 7:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My friend had to take meds to supress hers during her daughter's birth. Everything was ok but there can be major issues if the baby gets the infection in their eyes etc.
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 7:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• yes, i know all that can happen if you give birth during an outbreak.i want to know if anyone ever gave birth during an outbreak though from not knowing what could happen or from not knowing they had the std
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• This is something I never heard of before, but I would believe it is not safe for the poor baby.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Vaginal delivery during a herpes outbreak is very dangerous for the baby. And I don't see how the woman would NOT know she has an outbreak, aren't they really painful/etc? At the very least the OBGYN would notice the outbreak during the exams.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• They will schedule a c-section for you...the baby could be blinded or have other issues or even death...
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Oh-and it was me--I went through it...
    AnasMommy7

• No, I dont know anything personally. I just know they have to preform a csection..
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• If you are going to be giving birth with herpes then you have to have antibiotics just before the birth and the baby has to have them after or you have to have a csection.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 7:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2010