How do you feel about Elena Kagan's appointment to the Supreme Court?

plclemo

Asked by plclemo at 7:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's fantastic!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• SSAAAAaaaadd ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:36 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think it's great to have another woman. We are a smart gender and we deserve to be in some of these male positions. I know a lot of us are down on the Gov lately, but they did put her in there, so here's hoping she shows them and the Country she is capable of doing a great job.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 7:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Makes me proud to be a democrat AND a woman!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• For years women have fought hard to be measured by their intelligence, by them being the most qualified, and not praised for just being a woman.... are we going back in time where women want special treatment and should get jobs solely on the fact they have a vagina? It is a sad day when women are proud that another woman got a job on the basis that she is a woman/dem/liberal cause none of you can tell me why she is qualified. She has no Judicial record!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't expect anything to change as far as the SCOTUS does their business. She replaced another liberal judge. The balance in the court is still the same. It's not a Chicken Little moment.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Wow. The fact that she's a woman means she gets a pass on every single other aspect of whether she can do the job???

I'm with you, Crissy.

I am a woman, but I don't see myself as automatically aligned with anyone else who is a woman. If another woman believes she has the right to confiscate my house and give it to someone else to increase the city's taxes, I will be hostile toward her despite her gender.
    If a person believes that it would be okay for her to decree that Congress can dictate what I eat or feed my kids, she does NOT get a pass for her totalitarian beliefs just because she is a fellow woman !!

And I would be less sad about it if Kagan did indeed have NO judicial record. She has a long and very open history of supporting totalitarian beliefs, and her answers in the nomination hearings simply verified those beliefs. So her recent actions in the judicial milieu do show how staggeringly UN-qualified she is.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 8:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• One doesn't need a judicial record to be on the SCOTUS--she isn't the first either. She has a long legal career and is no stranger to the legal field. Now if I were nominated and placed, that would be a mistake as I have no experience with the law beyond an occasional traffic ticket.

Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 9:03 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1007/p01s03-usju.html

This spells it out pretty well--it is an older article, but relevant none-the-less.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Very scary. Don't care what sex she is or that she has no judicial experience. That doesn't matter. She's very left leaning. She couldn't give a moderate answer if she tried. We are walking a thin line here Looks to me like there are 5 Republicans who need to be run out of town. This was a disastrous vote
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2010