If you receive Government assistance...

If you are one of the millions of Americans on Government assistance (food stamps, HUD assisted, welfare, and even Social Security) what party are you affliated with? Republican or Democrat? And why do you support that party?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I do not think being on public assistance has anything to do with what party you vote for. It all depends on your current income situation, nothing more. Are you trying to find if there are more democrats or republicans on welfare? How could this info be in any way useful?

My understanding is that each party has different ideas for how the welfare system should be used and run.  I could be wrong, but I believe that Democrats, generally speaking, want to expand the welfare program or keep it as it is while the Republicans, again generally speaking, want to make it harder to abuse the system.  Not saying that Dems don't want reform, but they are more lenient with the guidelines.

Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• My family is currently on foodstamps so we can afford our mortgage. My hubbby was laid off from the job that we had bought this house with, 2 years after we bought it. He was on unemployment which paid a total of $73 a week, compared to the $750 a week he was making. He found a job after 3 months (by this time all our saving had gone to mortgage and other bills) but he was only getting paid $8.50 AN HOUR!! He has received many promotions and raises since then but we still are about $150 away from the salary this mortgage is based on. Foodstamps helps us pay the bills. We loose them in january. If Obama's tax hikes go through he wont be able to get anymore raises because of Obama's capital gains tax. So I am praying that McCain is our next president so we can keep this home we worked so hard for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I receive government assistance....I am not a registered voter.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:59 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I am not on any government assistance yet but after my son is born I am going to look into the WIC program to help my husband and I out. I am a republican only because I find that republicans care more about our military and their families.

There are people who abuse the systems to get free money and not have to work, but there are millions who use the system to help out their families and are trying to make it on minimum wage. I don't hold anything against people like that but it is those who abuse it that ruin it for everyone.
    Anonymous

• Gov assist here voting for Obama. He will keep the money flowing.
    Anonymous

• i am on ahcccs and Wic and i dont vote and wont.. theyre both idiots.
    Anonymous

• I hold the people that don't care to vote one of the problems with the officials that get into office, because every vote counts! and you should be ashamed of your selves for not taking pride in the country that is supporting you, feeding you, or giving you assistance in some way.
    Anonymous

• I get food stamps, TANF and Medicaid. I also have Cancer. My husband and I separated so I could qualify for medicaid to cover my medical expenses. We also have 4 kids on medicaid. I am voting for Obama because Republican are only making the rich richer and the poor poorer!
    Anonymous

• Gov assist here voting for Obama. He will keep the money flowing

That is what is wrong with some people on any type of assistance, they think it should keep flowing. Here is thing if you(in general) would get a job then you wouldnt worry about it ending. Of coarse I am a Republican. I cant stand when people think like that.

Anonymous this is not directed to you personally, I am saying just in general with peoples way of thinking.

Anonymous