Our garden is over flowing with cherry tomatoes! What do I do with them all?

Any ideas? Were picking basketfuls by the day now.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 7:36 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Baked Cherry Tomatoes
    Serves 4—6

1 quart cherry tomatoes, especially Sweet 100's
    handful of garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
    2 tablespoons snipped chives
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    juice of 1 lemon
    black pepper in a mill
    kosher salt
    Place the tomatoes in a baking dish, add the garlic and chives, and toss. Pour the olive oil over the tomatoes, followed by the lemon juice. Toss again, season with several turns of black pepper, and place in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes, until the tomatoes have burst open and the garlic is tender. Remove from the oven and season with kosher salt to taste. Serve hot, warm, or chilled as a side dish.

Read more: Recipe: Baked Cherry Tomatoes http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/egg/egg0896
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:38 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• food bank

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• halve them and toss them in a pan with olive oil, garlic, basil, and zucchini diced then toss it in spaghetti.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Agree with the food bank.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Our garden is producing massive amounts too, we have the little sugary tomatoes, my DD5 eats them like popcorn, I bet she's had 100 of them this just week, seriously. We also have beefsteak and plum tomatoes, I just sent my dad home with a big bag of those yesterday...this weekend we're having a bbq, going to make some salsa, use some for another appetizer I make, and slice some for burgers. The other night I made fajitas, I threw in about 5 chopped plum tomatoes to the mixture, came out great. GL.

Ina Garten has a recipe for lots of tomatoes, I think its called scalloped tomatoes, I saw her do it on tv and it looked fabulous...check out the foodnetwork site if you are interested in the recipe...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I was going to say... you could ship them to my house and I will eat them for you. :D As far as recipes, you could make salsa, marinara, and that's about all that comes to mind.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Slice them in half, put them in a bowl with chopped cucumber, sliced green onions, sliced black olives and give them all a healthy dose of Good Seasons or Kraft Tuscan House dressing.... toss and chill..... DELIGHTFUL!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• So jealous! My plants produced 4 tomatoes this year. Way bummer.

Sun dry them and store them. Season them with salt and pepper and slice them in half and sit them on a cookie sheet in the sun to dry with cheese cloth over to protect from bugs. Store them in the freezer. They will last about 4 months this way. You can also dehydrate them in a dehydrator or your oven.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe-finder?vgnextoid=23c7fdaef3f36110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&startSearch=true&searchTerm=cherry+tomatoes&source=dummy&cuisine=dummy&cookingTime=dummy
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Can them. Make sauce. Dry them, Freeze them for chili or goulash later.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 6, 2010