Sending your nonreligious kid to Christian school?

I am just wondering if anyone does this. We are not religious at all, but want the best for our son. There are NO preschools in the area without religious affiliation. (I am not as worried about it at this age.) But for older kids - what do you think? It is important to us that our son maintain our beliefs, but we have no problem being exposed to different views. I am not sure how prevalent religion is in these types of schools, since I didn't go to one. **I am NOT trying to spark religious debate, and I am NOT interested in being converted. Thanks so very much!**

getrealmama

Asked by getrealmama at 7:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in

• I think most christian schools are going to have a lot of emphasis on religion. Most of them in our are use a christian based curriculum. This means that them stretches across the board form Language arts to math. I think that it would be hard for a child who has been raised to be 'non religious' to go to a school with that kind of curriculum. The early years it may be confusing where as older children may be fine and accepting of the fact that 95% of the school is of a different view than them self.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• *this not them
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't do it.
    dhhaj

Answer by dhhaj at 7:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• depends on the school. most have uniforms, skirts/dresses/jumpers for girls, but shorts for PE. almost all have chapel (a mini service once a week), and if they do, more than likely they will preach/teach what they believe, not, say, religion, but how they believe the bible is interpreted. all religions interpret the bible differently in some way. some may preach religion, not sure, you may have to ask. for young kids, they just do some active church songs and little bible stories.

as long as you keep to your religion at home, raise your children in what you believe, teach them, then there is a high chance they will stay with the religion they grew up in. My pastor sent his dd to a private school, not sure on the religion, but it wasn't ours. she is still in our faith. he just stayed firm in his household with what he believed, raised her in it. she's graduated, and still in our religion.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I have always raised my son trying to foster him to have an open mind about spiritualism and/or religion. When he was in kindergarden we lived in Manhatten and the best school choice for him happened to be a catholic parochial school. He went there for just 1 year, we moved back to a small CT town before 1st grade. Right now, he's exploring buddhism. I think it's wonderful to have the chance to expose children to different beliefs and cultures and allow them the freedom to choose what feels right for themselves and to use their brains rather than just follow along with someone else's belief.. like part of the herd.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Oh, and by the way.. his best friend at the catholic parochial school was jewish.. it just happened to be a really great school, therefore, it attracted a diverse group of children.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• i would, but i would make sure that at home he could choose whether or not to pray etc.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would if the public school was really bad.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• That is what I am doing. I am sending my son to a Catholic school and we don't really have any religious affiliation (husband and I grew up Lutheran though). The education there is the best in the county. Yes he has some religion added but we counter that with explaining to him at home that that is only one religious view and give him the other views at home.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:56 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• There is a huge emphasis on religion in Christian schools (not familiar with other religious schools). They generally use a religious curriculum such as A Beka and they have a religious spin on the subjects....especially history. I would personally not send my child to a religious school. We are much the same in that we are allowing our kids to foster their own religious beliefs.
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 9:21 AM on Aug. 6, 2010