Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 Bumps

What Should I Do..

I have a 13 year old son who has A.D.D and Severe Depression. He is on Celexa for the Depression, nothing for the A.D.D. About 2 months ago I noticed a burn on his upper arm, I in turn asked him how he got the burn...He told me him and one of his friends were messing around and was playing with a lighter and his friend stuck the lighter against him and burned him. We discussed it and I told him I better not find another one on him. Yesterday I found another burn on the opposite arm, only this one is a lot deeper and again he said he was messing around with a lighter, only he did it to himself. If there is anyone that can give me some advice on this, please give me some. My first thought is to 302 him to the Psych Center to get a evaluation, but feel if I do it could hurt a up and coming custody battle, but if not it could get worse. If anyone has any ideas please voice them so I can make a decision, and thank you all :)

Answer Question

Asked by LostMyHalo at 7:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

Level 2 (11 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • Maybe you should let him see a counselor

    Answer by Decker at 7:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

  • I would try to contact your local comprehensive care center and tell them that you need to get your Son in. At CC they will let you come in with your Son and they will talk to him alone. They have Dr's who can prescribe meds, counselors who can help and they also work with the school system. If you send him to a psych ward he may feel like that you are working against him and it will eithe rmake his depression worse or he will not want to tell you anything else. If you go the CC route then hopefully he will feel like that you want to help him. Good Luck.

    Answer by hsmominky at 7:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

  • Find a good therapist Maybe the Celexa isn't working well enough. Has he been evaluated by a Psychiatrist. How would it affect a custody battle by getting him the help he needs?

    Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

  • Before you go with the Psych Center maybe try a counselor or therapist. One step at a time. Just make sure whoever you call they understand the urgency of the situation. Sometimes it can take a while to get an appointment but if you tell them that he is hurting himself, they should see him a lot faster.


    Answer by Cindy18 at 7:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

  • While in school he does see a counselor, all summer hes been with his dad in Georgia until a week ago. He starts back to school on September 1st, then counseling starts all over again. I called about getting him into counseling sooner other then waiting on the school counseling, theres a 3 month waiting period, which to me is ridiculous. I'm at my wits end now :(

    Comment by LostMyHalo (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

  • His father thinks that he can get better help for him then me, and in the papers for the hearing he has brought up the A.D.D and depression as one of the main reasons. I have always got my children help, my 18 yr old is doing great taking his meds daily, no recent angry issues.

    Comment by LostMyHalo (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

  • I don't think it would hurt the custody would show that you were doing whatever was necessary to take care of him. Good Luck mom...I know its hard knowing exactly what to do. I would be very concerned about him too.

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

  • Honey, he needs year round counseling, not just during the school year. Most definitely if he is burning himself. Self mutilation is not healthy and it needs to be addressed NOW, not waiting til September 1st.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:36 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

  • A reputable therapist will require a psych exam for dealing with this kind of problem. You need to take him for an assessment now, don't wait, this is important.

    Answer by justnancyb at 8:32 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

  • Burning is a result of mental issues just like cutting is. I know you are worried about the pysch evalution, but it is NECESSARY. Self mutilation is not something to be taken lightly and only grows in frequency and severity with time.

    Answer by Ash9724 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.