at 6 months how much baby food was ur baby eating?

my daughter eats one jar at lunch and then rice or oatmeal at dinner time. she still eats 5 6oz bottles a day too. i pump and bottle my breast milk. so should she be eating more baby food and make the bottles only 4oz to have with meals or stay with what im doing or wat??

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 7:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You will find that she will be adding more food when hungry than oz. I would keep the oz the same and as she gets a bigger appetite then add more foods. Here soon you will be adding crackers and soft finger foods to the menu and that will most likely make up one 'meal' with a bottle. Closer to 8-10 months you may find yourself offering mostly table food with formula to drink and bottles in between. There is no 'rule' as long as your baby is growing and meeting mile stones.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• As long as she is on BM, she needs mostly that and some food only for practice. She doesn't "need" different food. She "needs" BM and food before one is for practice and fun only.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We did no jar food or rice cereal (rice cereal does nothing and is binding, and jar food is just overpiced and lacks fiber). At 6 months my baby was interested in food but not quite physically ready. AT 7 1/2 months she was ready and we went direct to self feeds and table food mealsharing. We started with avocado, sweet potato, butternut squash, ripe pear, banana (not to much), blueberries from my pancakes, ripe peach, soft lightly cooked eating apples. Easy peasy and practically free. She didn't eat much, but just enough to satisfy herself. We don't measure things. she breastfeeds. She decides when she's had enough. she's had everything from a 3 bean chili to guacamole to asparagus, to kiwi to broccoli, cauliflower, persimmon and anything youcan name except meat, fish, dairy, and grains other than some bread. She is 10 1/2 months now. We follow babyled weaning.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• At 6mo she really was not that interested in food.. Id give her a jar every night for dinner & she would never finish it.. She didnt show real interest until about 8-9mo... About 2wks after she started eating jar food I wanted to go the "homemade route" but she denied all my attempts! *cry* so next child wont ever get gerber...
    She was also BF on demand (weaned at 20mo)..

Even now at almost 4yo she is a light eater. not big into meats at all but loves fruits/veggies
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• at 6 months my DS was getting a half jar twice a day. DD was just starting cereal so it was a few tablespoons of cereal in the morning. It sounds like what you are doing is fine. Food at 6 months is still for practice and experience. Teh formula/ breast milk is more important for nutrition.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My daughter just turned 6 months old, and she gets 1 jar of Stage 1 mixed with some brown rice cereal. I've also given her fresh bananas as well instead of jar food. Until age 1, food is just for practice anyway as a majority of calories should be coming from breastmilk (or formula).
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My youngest is 9 months and doesn't eat that much, she just has no interest. Unlike all my other kids who were eating breakfast lunch and dinner by her age, she is also more petite then my other babies so maybe that is it. I guess I was trying to say that every baby is different so there is no right or wrong answer on how much, just follow your babies cue's...they let us know.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• At 6 months my daughter was only nursing. We didn't start solids until 7 months. For about two months she got a mini muffin sized serving of fruit or veggie (I made my own baby food) once a day and not even every day. If we were busy, she didn't get solids that day. Around 9 months I started giving her food at lunch and dinner. Now at 11 months, she's getting breakfast, too. She still nurses about every 2-3 hours.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We started solids at six months, just a couple of bites of mashed avocado.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• mine eats about 4jars a day
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 9:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2010