Nap schedule, no longer sleeping!!! I need help!!

My 7 month old goes to sleep every night around 7pm until 7am, no problems,he falls asleep right away after putting him down. Naps have never really been a problem he always would take 2-3 and recently we dropped the 3rd nap. This last week Jace has been fighting any nap that I try and put him down for like 2o minutes he will cry... he never did that before, maybe 3-5 minutes tops. He used to sleep 1-2 hours per nap now he sleeps like 30 mins. I only put him down when I know he is tired... I am so confused why the sudden change... the only thing I can think of is he is starting to learn to crawl and I read somewhere something about that interfering because they are practicing... anyone else having a similar problem??

Deanna2426

Asked by Deanna2426 at 7:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's growing and changing quite normally. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we clock watch. Enjoy it while the 7-7 marathon lasts you :)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• If he's learned something new and exciting! Crawling. He'll want to practice it and not want to wind down. He'll be thinking about it constantly. This is a passing phase. It is not unlike if you were excited about tomorrow being the first day of work at a new job, or the first day of college, or expecting company, or you started reading a new book, began a new hobby, or looking forward to a party or trip. Your brain gets "wired" and even if you are tired you don't want to or just can't sleep for all the anticipation. Babies are the same. Don't force it. Go with it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Oh yeah! Once my son started moving, naps/falling asleep became a real challenge. He's up and moving all over the crib even when he's clearly read for a nap and fights it really hard (though he sleeps well once he falls asleep). In fact, his crib has become a kind of safe, soft practice space now that he's trying to walk - he literally is practicing his moves there and only tries in outside of the crib when he's feeling more confident! :) He'll just practice for hours if I don't do something. I've had to change our fall-asleep routine and have had to become a lot more hands-on than I used to be. He now still gets his all his naps (only missed 2 in the last 3 months) but it takes almost an hour to get him to fall asleep. I don't know... it's not ideal, but at least he's sleeping well.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:48 AM on Aug. 6, 2010