Work and prenatal appointment - What would you do?

I started my job when I was 3 months pregnant. I work for a small busy office. Everything has gone smoothly and we just squared away maternity leave plans. Well Monday I have a prenatal appointment coming up and they said they cannot accomadate it as people will be in and out of the office all day. I called the clinic and they said the soonest they can get me in is in 2 weeks. This would be my 32 week (although I'll be closer to 33 weeks by monday). I haven't been seen since 28 weeks and if I cancel this appointment I won't be seen until I'm closer to 35 weeks. I don't have any complications that I know of, beside a low platlet count.

I asked if we can move around some things as I would only miss 45 mins of work, and my boss got mad and said no. I'm really upset because I have a list of questions for my doctor, since I'm having a second c-section in 6-7 weeks. I haven't asked for a lot. What would you do?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 7:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would definately go to the appointment. I understand that you do not want to lose your job but the most important thing is you and your baby. You don't need to wait that long to see your OB.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 7:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• How much notice was given to your employer for the appt? Is your office willing to allow you to reschedule but have a phone conference with the doctor in beforehand?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would check your employee hand book and human resource department if you have one. It just doesn't seem right to me, but I don't know.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Sigh, thats a tough situation. I would look into it..I dont think your work can hold it against you for gong to your prenatal appointments. I don't see why they can't at least try to work with you on working around it. I'm not sure what I wold do, its important to work but prenatal visits are important too.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Personally, I'd call in sick. My pregnancy would be more important than some job I've only had for a few months. At MY job, I'd maybe get a write-up. Yours, I don't know. If you could, maybe trade days with a coworker. These last appointments you do not want to miss. I assume your doctor made all your appointments in advance like mine. If so, then your boss had plenty of time to make arrangements.
    danyelle_123

Answer by danyelle_123 at 7:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I gave a three day notice which is normal for our office. I was not aware though that there was a special avent where the other three people in the office couldn't cover me for 45 mins. Bad communication on both ends, but I'm still upset. I really wanted to go to this appointment.

What should I look for in the employee handbook? I work for a staffing agency so I'm sure its not against the handbook for not letting me go to the doctor.
    sunshine58103

Comment by sunshine58103 (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would tell him, you know im pregnant and you know since im getting closer to my due date that I would be going to the doctor more often so im sorry but I have to go to my appt because my childs health is more important. You can have someone cover me for 45 minutes.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 7:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• you really think 45 min? That sounds awfully unlikely.... I would sit down with your employer let them know you can not change the appt you tried and see what can be worked out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think it sounds like discrimination., You have to check on your baby.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 8:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Call your doctor and have them provide you a note. Then they legally have to accommodate you.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2010