Do you think children with ADHD should be medicated?

dhhaj

Asked by dhhaj at 7:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Some children benefit from medication, some don't. I think it is just as bad to withhold medication from a child who needs it as it is to give it to a child who doesn't.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 11:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It depends on how the ADHD affects that particular child. If he/she benefited from it, then yeah, like if the child had trouble learning and learning improved with meds.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• For my son who has ADHD medicine is the only thing that works. We tried EVERYTHING else first. None of them worked for him. It really depends on the child and how severe the case is.
    sherenan

Answer by sherenan at 8:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• This is a tough one because I don't have a kid with ADHD, so it's easy to say I would do this or that but when it really happens to you hard choices have to be made. I would hope I could explore every avenue to treat the problem without medication, but if that was the best option and it could be used safely then I wouldn't rule out medication either. To blindly say you refuse it would be just as bad as to refuse alternative solutions. When you have a child you have to do everything possible to give them the best life which means trying everything.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 7:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• That all depends. Studies show that only about 6% of cases can be resolved thrudiet. It really depends on the child, how severe the case is and other medical history and environmental factors. There are so many factors the decision to medicate really has to be considered on a case by case basis!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 8:03 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It really depends on each child. I would say that this answer would be different from Child to Child and case to case. My little boy was diagnosed with this but we homeschool and I am working with him on it so we chose not to medicate. The Doctors want to medicate way too fast anymore.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 8:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• In severe cases, yes..I think medication could be beneficial. But in mild to moderate cases I think other options could work just as well if not better.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It depends on the child & the family..Personally Ive never been around an ADHD child before & after meds so I really cant say..
    Anytime you can go without meds is a good thing though...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I really think that each child is different. The only way I would ever medicate a child is if all the natural routes did not work at all; diet, exercise, supplements, etc.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:13 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Medication should be a last resort not the first. Too often not all possibilities for the behaviors are ruled out. Child can't pay attention, here's a pill. Child is a bit hyper, here's a pill. Loss of appetite on the pill, here's another pill.

For 4 years we were told that we needed to medicate our son. For 4 years we told them no & sought other answers & treatment options. Turns out he is not ADHD. He does have RLS & food sensitivities. Once we treated him for the RLS & removed the problem foods, he is fine.

Had we listened to the numerous dr's, teachers, & therapists, he'd be drugged up on psychotropic drugs and we never know the true him.

I do believe that there are true cases of ADHD & meds are beneficial. But ALL possibilities should be ruled out first.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 6, 2010