How do you get a child on ADHD medication to eat better.

dhhaj

Asked by dhhaj at 7:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• IDK.. I'm an adult with ADHD and I have a hard time eating after I take my meds. If you figure it out, let me know.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:01 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Eat better? How about eat at all?
    adakbride

Answer by adakbride at 8:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• You may want to ask your child's behavioral therapist.

I would definitely only have foods in the house that you want your child to eat.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My daughter has ADHD and she needed a lot of protein. Started making peanut butter crackers, cheese snacks, cut up veggies she liked, milk, pudding yogurt. Made smoothies for her for breakfast (1 yogurt cup, frozen fruit and milk). Switched from white to wheat bread and made a lot more food from scratch. Worked. Between the meds and the high protein diet, she did much better.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Big big breakfasts. My son wakes up ravenous. He has a breakfast at home and another at daycare.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Forgot to mention, I also shopped for food differently. There were no more cookies, chips or high fat, simple carbs in the house. We all looked better for about 4 years (then she moved out) and my son's acne cleared up also.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Try different foods and see what sticks...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:18 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• SIL gets her son up early, feeds him a good breakfast, he barely picks at lunch, but since he gets up early his meds wear off decently by suppertime so he eats pretty good at suppertime. He's lost something like 30 lbs since going on them though, and he's only 8 - needless to say he was extremely overweight to begin with and his doctors are fine with him losing a little more.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:48 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Feed the child a good breakfast BEFORE giving meds. Let them snack whenever they want and give them their dinner AFTER the meds wear off. You cannot force the child to eat if they are not hungry. The doc suggest to give him more filling foods. If my son said he was hungry, I let him eat. no matter what time it was or what it was. I also gave him a big bed time snack.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:08 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You get rid of all the junk you DONT want them to eat and only offer foods you do want them to eat. Kids will NOT intentionally starve themselves to death so you have to be firm.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:58 AM on Aug. 6, 2010