Does your seven year old suddenly have temper tantrums?

dhhaj

Asked by dhhaj at 7:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i wouldn't say suddenly since he had had them for years. but he does have temper tantrums. when things change they get worse and then things are normal they get better.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 8:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• No suddenly and not really temper tantrums like a little kid. My son will be 8 on Monday and if things don't go the right way (he's a rule kid) then he gets mad, clenches his fists, yells. He'll stay like that for a while, he doesn't know how to calm himself down quickly or how to not get so mad so quickly. I think he's experiencing emotions that are new to him...kids talking back to adults, kids, doing what they want when they want, being sneaky. He started school a year later then others his age, since his b-day is in Aug, and was never in day care. He was home w/me and was just a good kid. He's going into 2nd grade and is seeing things he's just not used to seeing. I hope your son gets over his tantrums soon...they are no fun for anyone involved.
    JenE1098

Answer by JenE1098 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• No my son just turned 7..He rarely throwa a tantrum but every so often he can if he is upset enough. His 5 yr old sister on the other hand is more difficult but thats not new...LOL
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:53 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I got lucky, my son never had tantrums. Even as a toddler., and he is now almost 11. I have plenty of friends who have children that have tantrums (young and as old as my son). I guess I just got lucky?
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:36 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yes. Though not quite seven. We are used to temper issues but we have seen a rise in sudden unexplainable tantrums in the recent weeks.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 10:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yes! I just put up a journal post about it!! He has every now and then let his temper come out, but lately it seems to be getting worse. He talks back ~ and so smart mouthed about it. It usually happens over something stupid too ~ and when he is told he can't do it, he gets so mad that he clenches his fists and starts talking mean. He then feels the need to argue about every little thing... It has happened the past two days in a row ~ just once each day. And I made him sit in the kitchen where I was until he was calmed down for a while. I talk to him about it afterwards and he says he just can't help it. How do you teach him to be calm when at times, he pushes me so far that I can't be calm with him??
    jekrmom

Answer by jekrmom at 2:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2010