my daughter just fell off the couch

She was crawling around and my husband was in front of her and somehow she made it past him and hit the front of her forehead on the floor. She cried for a little bit but seems fine now. She is only nine months old. Should I put ice on it or is that not good/too cold for a baby that young? I feel heartbroken and want to scream at my husband but I stopped myself from doing that.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 8:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say just watch her closely for a couple of hours.. If she is acting fine, and there is no bleeding or excessive swelling, you should be fine.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:11 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Does she have an egg on her head? Is it bruised? Just red? Are her pupils dialated?

You can try ice...if you dont have an icepack to wrap up in a rag...you can put some icecubes in a baggie and wrap that up in a dry rag..that way youre not putting direct coldness on her skin. But most babies are too curious about what you are trying to put on their heads to let you do that,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• i agree with what xxlilmomma09 has said. Just watch her.
    mommyeast4

Answer by mommyeast4 at 8:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I understand wanting to scream. But that would upset the baby. Watch her closely. Don't let her sleep for long periods of time. If she starts acting odd or listless call her pedi. You can probably put ice on it. Just wrap the ice pack in a washcloth or hand towel.
    sherenan

Answer by sherenan at 8:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• The best thing is for a baby to have an egg on their head. The Dr's told us that if the knot pops out then it is a great sign. It's when the babys head injury sinks in that you have to worry. I would say that she is fine. Give her some tyelnol and watch her. Make sure she isn't wanting to go to sleep.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 8:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't sweat it. If she is no longer crying I am sure she is fine. In fact I bet you cried more than she did! I know I did when I clipped DS nails and got the skin and when he rolled off my bed. May have a little bump. The first of many many to come. Don't forget to write down her first boo-boo. It's okay every baby has fallen off of something before one year.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Its just a little red. I'm nervous even though she seems fine. The thing is that she is tired because its her bed time. Should I try to keep her awake as long as possible?
    samantha21385

Comment by samantha21385 (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I personally would put her to bed. Falling off the couch just isn't that far...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Generally, a fall under 2 or 3 feet isn't likely to do damage, especially off a couch onto a carpet or wood floor. cement would be a concern. You can put some ice on it for swelling, but this is only one fall in a long line of falls to come. Babies are pretty reslilient. Just observe for the classic signs of a concussion (this is unlikely to happen off of a couch unless she hit her head on a table on the way down).

Don't be too hard on your husband. I guarantee you that the next time you blink she will fall in your care while you are looking right at her. http://www.drgreene.com/qa/head-injuries
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• here read this and feel better! :0)

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2010