At what age is it okay to let your son or daughter date?

My son is 12 and told me that his friend has a girlfriend and they already tell eachother i love you. Just the thought of that scared me.

carina.g

Asked by carina.g at 8:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• 12 is young...I met and dated my husband when I was 14 and he was 16. I think each kid is different. You'll know when your kids are old enough and mature enough to start dating. Do religious values play a part in it for you? Religion wasn't an issue for my family, but my DH's family didn't let him date until he was 16. And more importantly (IMO) have you had the sex talk with your child? That sound very forward, but I think it's very important that kids know at a young age about the birds and bees...and they need to know the facts, not just what they hear on the street. Especially before dating.
    mishmashmom

Answer by mishmashmom at 11:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• NEVER! LOL
    j/k
    I am not quite sure on a specific age, I would probably go more with the maturity level of the teen and just take it from there.

Yeah...I think 12 is a it young to be saying the i love you's.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think 16 is the perfect age.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Dating is for the purpose of selecting a marriage partner. So when a child is ready to select a partner for life, he/she is ready to date. I recently had this conversation with my 12-year old grandson, and he understands the concept. He can have friends who are girls, but they are not considered to be his girlfriends. Thankfully, I can point to his daddy and mommy as examples of how this works, and he gets it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• When girls/boys start becoming important to the children, I use to have them over for family night. I think that was usually around 14. No way did the kids ever get in cars alone on dates until 17...DH rule not mine.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• i started dating at 13 and that was too young.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• my kids are still little, but i am not letting them officially 'date' until they are 16. if they are 12 and want to hang out together, that's ok, but not go out on dates. that's what my parents did for me (but i was really fat and unattractive so i didn't actually start dating until i was 21 lmao, but i could have at 16 if there were any takers!). but i think i'll still be nervous even at 16 lol

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My DH says at least 16.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 8:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• after they are married
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 8:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would hold him off as long as possible. At 14 to 15 maybe group dates with a chaperone. At 16 to 17 one on one dating IF you feel he's mature enough to handle himself. Teach him to be a gentleman in the meantime. I think the whole idea of the gentleman is on the decline, and it's a crying shame. The world needs more gentlemen.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 8:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2010