How did you get your son to potty train?

Any ideas? I have used pull-ups they do nothing...tried underwear not so great. I have let him be naked when we are home but I dont want him to get use to that. Rewards are helpful but I can't do that forever. Any ideas?

JacobsMommy05

Asked by JacobsMommy05 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We read "Once Upon a Potty" every day starting when he was 12 months old. Joshua rocks and my little guy wanted to be just like him and use the big boy potty!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Oh! and we played a game.. I would drop a Cheerio in the toilet and when he peed he would aim for the Cheerio and if he sunk it he'd get a prize.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I am in the same boat. Just posted a similar question this morning. It has been suggested to have him watch daddy when he is on the potty. For pee, I started with taking him every 15min, then 30, then an hour and so on and so forth. How old is your son? Yeah, pull-ups do nothing but prolong him going in his pants. My son has been wearing big boy pants and he gets to clean them and himself of poop about once every day. GL!
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 8:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• OK, we lived rural so to get them started we didn't have a tree or tire on our property that hadnt been watered LOL. However, when we first put them on the seat we put them on there backwards holding the tank for support. (Reasoning is #1 for support and not feel like gonna fall in #2 that's their view anyway, right??)

My youngest bowel trained b4 our older one, he never liked the whole poop in the diaper thing. They both urine trained by age 3 night by age 4 -

They are 17 mos apart in age with the older one being a super preemie so maybe 3-5 months behind in some achievements

mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 8:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I used the 3 day method with ds about a month after he turned 2. It worked so great for him. It works a lot better if you are a SAHM or have someone that can be home with him though and can manage to not really leave the house at all for a good 3 to 5 days. He also responded really well to using a potty chart I printed off of NickJr.com, I made a big deal every time he made it to the potty and he got to put a sticker on his potty chart, and he also got a skittle, he loved it. Potty training is just one of those things that you have to decide to do, and not look back; and it's a messy process. Going back and forth between underwear and diapers is just confusing for the kids, and pull ups feel JUST like diapers to them, so if you can get away with not using them, its probably better. Good luck mama, just remember, it will all click eventually!
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 8:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• You know when I was trying to potty train my son I ask the same question like 1month and a half ago and some one post this : It work for me just stop pull up bad idea\ my son just jeep going in his pull up try undies trust me if you keep trying it well happened. It took me 1 week and he was ready!!

I approached things a tad differently than the other ladies have explained.

My son wouldn't care that his undies were wet, so we started having him be bare-bottomed when we were at home (at the suggestion of our doctor and my mom). This helped him start to recognize the urge. He wouldn't have accidents when bare. After doing this for a bit, we put plain white undies on him -- the thick soft training kind -- and reminded him once that if he went until lunch or dinner (or a set time), he could wear his Diego undies. He wanted to wear his Diego undies and did NOT want to get them wet, and ended up doing really well.

Good luck!
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 8:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I just potty trained my son...we made a sticker chart and taped it to the bathroom door. Everytime he went on the potty he got a sticker for his potty chart. We also made a reward box everytime he went on the potty he picked a prize. The prizes were things like 5 gummy bears, 5 M&M's, hot wheels car, some dollar items from Target, and some other little things I found laying around). I told him he was a big boy now and he was going to start using the potty. We waited until his'last" Pull -Up was used and told him he only had underwear now. We took him to pick out 1 pack big boy underwear (we had/have about 20 other pairs). Then I put him in underwear...The first day was HORRIBLE but each day got/gets better. We stayed home for the first week but now go where ever. He still has accidents but usually its when he's tired. He also did better on days when his daddy was home!
    Good Luck!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 8:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• i let him pick one jelly bean for pee two for poop. to get him interested i gave him jelly beans to start while he just sat there. they say not to do this but i had a two year old potty trained in no time.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I tried everything under the sun and nearly drove myself crazy. Then I finally just waited until he was ready. He FINALLY potty trained at 4 yrs 2 mos. If I had it to do all over again I'd just wait!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I have a son that we are about to begin potty training. My goal is to do what worked for my little brothers (who are at least 10 years younger than me) and use the Fruit Loop method combined with the 3 day that another mother talked about earlier. My brothers loved trying to sink the Fruit Loops and were way more into it than Cheerios since they were bigger and more colorful. Good luck with yours...I'm sure I'll be back to check in on my own progress!
    MamaMellie419

Answer by MamaMellie419 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2010