After a child has been freed for adoption, can the parents or relatives still have a chance in getting them back?

My sister has 2 sibling foster children, they have been in her care for almost a year. She got the younger one as a newborn (right from the hospitol) and the older one ( who is almost 4 now) came from another foster family. She was placed in her first foster home for about 8 mos. because her parents severly neglected her. She has thrived in my sisters care and has made remarkable progress. Neither parent or any relatives have visited or showed an interest in them. The judge just ordered that they be freed for adoption. My sister and her husband are thrilled. Has anyone ever heard of anything going wrong once they get this far? The case workers say"no" because they have been in foster care to long and noone has stepped forward. It would also be very devistating for the children to have them removed.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 8:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Adoption

• Until the adoption has been finalized I would say there is always a chance.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I am also a Foster Parent so I can tell you that once TPR (termination of parental rights) is filed the birth families have a certain number of days to file an appeal. They can still appeal this decision but the judge will look at their history of no contact with the child. I will pray that your Sister gets to keep them.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 8:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• ditto hsmominky.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I agree w HSMOMINKY
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 8:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't know the answer, but I hope she gets to keep them. From what you have said, it sounds like that would be the best thing.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We had up to two months before TPR for the extended birth family to try to seek custody. But I'm sure everything is different in every area. Things look good for your sis, but just tell her to hold on until the ink is on the adoption decree. One thing with foster care, you can never count on anything!
    yo_ho

Answer by yo_ho at 4:40 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• The parents can not because their rights would have to be terminated. It is possible for another family member to step forward. However, the judge & case workers are going to do what is in the best interest of the child.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:25 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I am a foster parent and here in Illinois the birth parents have 30 days to appeal after TPR has been filed, if they don't appeal then no they can't jhave a chance to get their kid(s) back. I am sure every state is different but typically TPR is final and there is no going back.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Congratulations on your new family members!

Answer by rkoloms at 1:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It's sounding really good, stacey, but we have been told NUMEROUS times that "It's not over until the judge slams the gavel declaring them yours." It's unlikely at this point, but stranger things have happened. Keep praying. After TPR of our son's birth mom's rights, there was an appeal lasting 10 months. He was considered foster care until after the appeal was over and until the adoptive placement was made. The finalization was 15 months after TPR. Even going in to court, I was still praying and waiting for that gavel to fall. Tell her to hang in there, and I'll be praying for your family. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2010