My two month old has started rolling onto his tummy!!

He did it several times yesterday. I think it's kinda early?? But he was having that cranky day and I let me lay on his little play mat on his belly and fall asleep. Now SIDS scares me to death. He's not quite able to pull his little arm out yet to turn over? Should I be worried? Should I let him nap on his belly on the floor if it soothes him. This is scaring me to death!

JancieAnn

Asked by JancieAnn at 10:18 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Only if you can visually see him. You seem very aware of SIDS and what not to do. Every baby needs tummy time.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:35 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• i agree with the PP. my son did that day one. literally!!!! i had to sign waivers for him to sleep on his stomach. he still does that now at almost 4!!! every baby needs tummy time. as long as you are there watching there shouldn't be an issue. my son was an early roller, early crawler, etc. let him explore the world in a new view :) get down with him and watch. you know the signs of SIDS. GOOD LUCK mama!
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• my daughter sleeps on her tummy everynight and she is only 6 weeks. I'll tell you what I do, but I will warn you that it may disrupt your relationship with you and your man. my hubby and I take turns sleeping in bed. We co- sleep. He watches her for the first 4 ours and I watch her the next 4 hours. So, you will miss out on some deep sleep and the comfort of a man beside you, but your little boy will get the best night sleep ever, and you will get a solid 4 hours knowing that he is ok! Good Luck nervous mommy.
    lovinsophie

Answer by lovinsophie at 12:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I would follow the rule of thumb......tummy to play, back to sleep.
    I let Caleb sleep on his tummy when Im holding him but when
    I put him in his bed, its always on his back. Its probably fine to let
    him fall asleep initially on his tummy but turn him over after he's
    asleep. Pretty soon, he will be rolling over in his sleep anyway.
    Oh and by the way, DALTON FOR PRESIDENT!!!!! lolololol
    love ya girl!
    hope7096

Answer by hope7096 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I agree with Hope. Tummy while awake, and back while asleep! I also watch mine closely to make sure he doesn't turn over while he sleeps-or put a pillow on either side of him so he can't turn over!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 2:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2008