What are your thoughts on legalizing marijuana?

i was debating this with a few people on facebook today so im curious to see more thoughts. i personally am against it. i know that for someone diseases it can really help, and thats fine with me, but from what i understand - now that is basically legal in cali, if you have a headache, you can get a script for weed. do i think weed is any worse then alcohol? not really, but we already have enough people abusing alcohol, so why add another drug on the list to abuse. id rather not have a bunch of stoned idiots driving around on the roads with me and my son. and this is comming from a former pothead of about 8 years. if people who really need medicinal marijuana, can already have it, then why do the laws need to be changed anymore? i think enough people abuse marijuana as it is while its illegal, so imagine if it was legal.

PURPULbutterfly

Asked by PURPULbutterfly at 8:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• How about people staying sober for a change? Prescription drug use is on the high as is and people can't even handle them.....gee, let's just make it easier for kids to get to another drug that is going to screw them up........
    pvtjokerus

Answer by pvtjokerus at 12:05 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I think it shouldn't because I have seen every excuse as to why its needed. My back hurt, I have a headache, my PMS is acting up ETC its is all an excuse and they same it helps. My dad has smoked for 40 years and has nothing for him but made him dependent on it
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 8:30 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think for many that use it, if made legal, it would not hold as much appeal. And personally I would prefer pot vs alcohol. I have lived with addicts of both and the pothead was much easier to handle. With that said I do agree that overuse of any substance is abuse (including food - of which I am an abuser).
    I live in cali and I do not see how it is legal here without sepnding a lot of $$$ to get a script that then you have to pay to go to a special club to pay retail for your "prescription". When I can go to my Dr and get a script for insurance covered pain meds (I think the pain med addiction is a bigger issue than pot)
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 8:38 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I'm all for it. But I am afraid that it wont be handled properly just like the medical mj bill. Personally, I never touch the stuff, but I do drink alcohol. I think if it were taxed, California's budget would be balanced in no time. Right now I do believe that it is a gateway drug, but only because the person you are buying it from (a criminal) has a vested interest in getting you hooked on something stronger. When I go to the liquor store for a bottle of Cab, he doesn't give me heroin to try. I also worry about the young people who are using it because it can be cut with all kinds of more damaging things, If it were legal and being sold by someone who was licensed, I believe that wouldn't happen. So depending on how the law is written, I'll be voting yes.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I am all for it. We should tax it heavily it would be good for the economy. I agree people aren't going to all of a sudden use it. It is so ready available now. Instead of the crooks making money off it the government could make money. Alcohol is way worse in my opinion and it's legal.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I personally don't think they should legalize it! I personally hate the freakin' smell of weed.. I would hate to have neighbors smoking the crap, making me sick!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• If its legalized that doesn't mean the drug dealers are allowed to sell it on the street. It will be sold in stores.In this issue,I don't really care. I don't do it. If it brings us out of recession,I'm all for the selling of it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't agree I would hate to see my son waste his life like that. I had friend's who smoke all the time and trust me they are probably still sitting at home smoking not going out... What a waste of a life.......
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 8:36 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I thought they already legalized it in New York. My concern is for people driving under the influence of the drug. Their motor skills will be impaired and they won't be able to focus on driving properly. This could be dangerous to anyone who is on the road with them. However, they could in fact get behind the wheel and drive with this kind of thinking.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Leagalize it.... Tax the heck outta it... But till then it is still ILLEGAL in many areas. So either move or obey the laws..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:40 PM on Aug. 5, 2010