I think its appendicitis

So.. my husband woke up this morning with pain in his lower right abdomen. He said its a little painful, granted he has a really high pain thresh hold, but that it feels more like pressure then anything. He's had no appetite all day, but other then that he hasn't had any other symptoms. I still think it is appendicitis and he is resistant to go to the ER because we have no insurance and really can't afford it. Is there something else this can be and maybe I am worried over nothing? I just don't want to go to work tomorrow and have it burst or something when hes here alone with the kids. Any tips or help would be great.

Skye-Angel

Asked by Skye-Angel at 8:46 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Health

• I'd call the ER and ask them what to watch for. Does he have a fever? Nausea? I had all the symptoms and they cut mine out then said oops, it was just gastritis!

Answer by admckenzie at 8:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• They have an account for people without insurance so tell him not to worry about that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• When I had appendicitis and mine ruptured, I wasn't able to keep any food or liquids down. If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure I ran a fever the whole time too. I was home several days before going to the hospital. I wouldn't wait too long...maybe you could talk him into going to a dr.? I was still living at home with my parents and they didn't have insurance at the time either, but sometimes you just have to go and make sure everything is ok.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Can he hold down food and water? Is he throwing up at all? When i had appendicitis I couldn't hold ANYTHING down, not even water, and my vomit was pea soup green (tmi, but it's a common symptom). If he isn't throwing up, I would say it probably isn't appendicitis. If he starts throwing up and it's green, go to the ER. Also, he will likely have a moderate to high fever if it's appendicitis.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• my son had this last year. he was sick one day, vomiting and stomach pain but no fever. then the next day he was fine..the next day he was vomiting and had a pain in his belly. took him to the doctor and he said my son didnt have all the signs (fever being one of them) the doctor told me to take him to the er to be safe. they ran all kinds of tests and still thought it was the flu. then they did a cat scan and they rushed him to surgery because it had ruptured. The doctor said that the day he said he felt better was when it ruptured and then it started to poison his system. Do not mess around with this, it can kill you if you wait too long.
    vintagemaddness

Answer by vintagemaddness at 8:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• if you really think it's that you should go regardless of the insurance situation. it could be life or death if you don't get it out in time (assuming it is appendicitis).
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• If it's appendicitis he'll eventualy know it. My sister was in so much pain my Dad had to carry her out to the car. Some people vomit, and then it can rupture it's nothing to fool ard with. A Hosp. will not turn anyone down, and it's something that's only going to get worse if it is appendicitis.Just keep a good watch over him even if by pho, he can always go by ambulance.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:16 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My nephew had an emergency surgery for appendicitis. They tapped the bottom of his feet and he couldn't handle it. Some kind of test like jump up and down, if it hurts, there could be problems with appendix. Is it possible that he's constipated? Gas pains can hurt a lot. Try getting him to drink water or like apple juice or something see if that helps.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I just got mine out in march... The pain was in the lower right side, I couldn't eat, drink and everything came back up. I had a fever and just went into the doctor..... To check for it have him lay down on his back push where he feels the pain and when you barely push it will be a sharp pain, then it is what you think. It may also feel warm in that area. Check his temp if it is high even just 99.9 then he should really go in... Being in debt is better then not being alive. ( my SIL almost died when her's ruptured)
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:17 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Here's a site with some good info to help you... http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/appendicitis/DS00274/DSECTION=symptoms

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:46 AM on Aug. 6, 2010