How often do you talk to your parents?

My parents only 5 blocks away and I hear from them only once or twice in months. My dad I havent talked to him since Christmas. I was calling to see how they are doing and my dad doesnt answer the phone and my mom talks for a little bit. When I ask why they dont call me my mom says that they know Im alright and they are just letting me take care of my family. I have two sisters that have families but my parents call them through out the day. It was making me sad, now I have an I dont care anymore attitude. Is that right?

carina.g

Asked by carina.g at 8:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• i live about 15 min from my mom and so does my sister. i know that she and my sister talk on a daily basis - i think they equally initiate calls. i rarely talk to my mom. our relationship has always been weird and neither of us know why. she is always happy to hear from me and vice versa, but there were several times in my life when i just cut her out as much as possible - i didn't feel appreciated or understood by her (often still don't) and i think it's just where we are. it sometimes bothers me a lot and sometimes not so much - i think i've reached a point of acceptance. it seems rather sad to me and i've tried to change it, but it just seems to stay the same. (hugs)
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My mom passed away 3 years ago. I talk to my dad about once a week and see him about once every 3 weeks or so. Don't have a don't care attitude, keep up your relationship for your kids at the very least. Once they are gone they are gone and I HATE that my kids don't have my mom around.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My parents are dead but I have adult children. One wouldn't speak to me for anything. One speaks to me when she wants something and won't give me her phone number so I can call her. One talks to me everyday.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My mother is at the other end of my block, generally she calls me at least once every 2 days... Usually more though. Or she just shows up...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I talk to my parents several times a week. Since yours live so close, how about inviting them over or stopping by to see them? In my opinion, it's never too late to try to build a better relationship with them.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 8:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I talk to my mom probably everyday sometimes more and my dad I talk to atleast 2-3 a week :) We moved from CO to NC so I call home alot!
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 8:56 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I talk to my Mom every other day if not once a day. My Dad passed away.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 8:59 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I never talk to my dad, or try to.
    I talk to my mom like every day and visit at least once a week
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I have three kids and they dont even call to see how they are doing. My dad has never been to my house. I just think that I could never do that to my kids. If I didnt hear from them in a while, I would be kicking down doors.
    carina.g

Comment by carina.g (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I have called to invite them to come over, usually theres an excuse. thats why I pretty much gave up. Why do I have to put in all the effort.
    carina.g

Comment by carina.g (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2010