How Important Are Glider Rockers and Ottomans?

My nursery isn't huge. It fits a crib, dressing table, and one other piece of furniture. I'm not sure as to whether I should use that space for a bookcase (I could really use the shelf space for books/toys/decorations) or a glider. Have you used your glider a lot? I figured I could just sit on my sofa or some other place to breastfeed. I was told it's nice for story-time and children like the rocking motion. So what do you suggest? Thanks in advance!

SMH2010

Asked by SMH2010 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It really depends on the kid. I know some people swear by rocking to soothe a baby, and my MIL actually bought a nice comfy one for me, but my baby turned out to prefer walking and bouncing to rocking (or swinging). I just fed him on the couch or my bed, and paced around the house while gently bouncing my son until he was asleep. He's just now starting to enjoy rocking in the chair while reading before bed/naps, and he's 12 months!

If you don't really have the space (or money), you might want to just skip it. If you think you have the space, get cheap one - it may not get much use for a while.

On the other hand, we have books piled everywhere! Could use more bookspace...
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I love my glider rocker. I never used it to breastfeed, but I do use it every day. It helps rock my cranky baby to sleep, and gives me a comfy place to sit while I read him books.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 9:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• You don't need a glider - I always nursed sitting on the couch. It was much more comfortable. Plus with a glider you take the chance of baby getting their fingers caught once they're crawling around.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I almost never sat in the glider to BF. I either did it laying in our bed with the baby or mostly on the couch in the living room. I had a glider in the nursery and a rocking chair in our bedroom. When the baby's were just a week or two old and up every hour during the night I used the rocker in out bedroom a bit. Once in a while if company was over I'd go up in the baby's room and use the glider. You can absolutley live without it no problem. Honestly, the arms of gliders/rockers get in the way of a good pillow on your lap for nursing.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:03 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• i have a lazy boy in the nursery with my 3rd kid, and i wonder how i survived the other two kids without it lol. it's really comfy to nurse, and let's face it you're going to sleep in it sometimes too lol. my older kids do like to sit on my lap and hear books in it, or sit in it by themselves with the footrest up lol. it was a really good investment for me, and once she gets bigger and needs that space for a desk, momma's chair is coming downstairs lol. it's always good to feed them and put them to sleep real close to their crib, bc sometimes when you're walking alot (say from another room), they wake up and you have to start all over again :(
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I never found a need for them! I nursed on the couch or the bed or where ever... It's just one more useless piece of furniture!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We never had one and while it could be annoying to get off the couch with a baby in my aarms it was doable. We didn't have a lot of room either. If I were you I would go for the bookshelves.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 9:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I only used ours a few times and never really used it after she was about 6 weeks old.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I have a glider and ottomon i nour nursery and I honestly ahvent used it in a long time. I'm thinking I would use it more often if I had it in our bedroom rather than in there.For the first few months after my 2nd was born, it was nice and relaxing to sit in there with her and nurse and sing to her in a quiet place but after awhile, I didnt rock her to sleep anymore and she no longer nursed.I want to put it in our bedroom because thats where I usually bring her before bedtime and I read her a book or two and play with her for a little while.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Just get a regular rocking chair! You can get one much cheaper and it serves the same purpose, plus, it takes up less room! I would say with my kids, it was always a good thing to have a rocking chair in the house. They both like to be rocked and it's good for nursing.

You can even get rocking chairs second hand all over the place. Sometimes people have really nice ones that they are giving away. Or if you find one that is kind of beat up, you could paint it and fix it up to match your nursery decor.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2010