How can I stop an 18 month from biting?

My almost 18 month son bites me whenever he is throwing a fit cause I have told him no. It is only am if my husband or mom tells him no he doesn't do it. What can I do to make him stop? I have tried no, spanking, lightly popping him in his mouth nothing works. I had someone tell me to bite him back, but then someon else say don't do that it is child abuse. Help!

DamiensMommy217

Asked by DamiensMommy217 at 9:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I bit my son back and he stopped right then and there. I didn't even leave a mark.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would spank him on the hand and Enforc no biting or Biting back, but not hurting him may work. You should no ho hard is abusive. Some kids have to be shown & not told.
    Mommyruff

Answer by Mommyruff at 9:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I bit my DD back when she was about 10 mos old. She is now 25 mos and has never bitten another person for any reason. If you have exhausted all of your other techniques then you have to decide what you want to do. I said to my DD "We don't bite it hurts see"--and it bit her. I hope that you can make a decision that will break this bad habit before he bites another child.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• i say bite him back, not too hard to make a mark, but enough to get the point across. my son bit me once, i popped him in the mouth and he never did it again. dd bit a couple times, but stopped herself. now she's into pinching. how do you get a 2yr old to stop pinching? i'm still working on that...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Bite him back. My son bit twice. The second time, he was bit back and got no love when he cried. We explained why he was bitten and he never bit again.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2010