Is it weird that...

when i am looking to date a guy i don't want them to have a child of their own even though i have one

Shannon706

Asked by Shannon706 at 9:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• Nothing wrong w that. I'd prefer it too. We've got baby daddy drama on occasion, but I do not want to deal w baby momma drama or the baggage that comes w it. Seems like a double standar, eh? But oh well, that's my own preference too.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 11:43 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It's not weird, but you might miss out on some really cool men who happen to have kids. Years ago my DH said he'd never date a woman with a child, but here we are...married, and my DD was 3 when we met. He is so glad he crossed that rule off his list after our first kiss. We have a wonderful relationship & him & my DD love each other so much.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• No, I don't think it's weird. I actually know a lot of woman like that.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I can understand why you would feel that way. You already have a child so you know how that could complicate things more if he had a child too.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 9:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think it is weird. My mom has stated this before. But When she realized how many great guys she may pass up because of that she compromised with saying she wants them to be at least late elementary/middle school age.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think it's a bit of a double standard. It's OK for you to have a kid from a previous relationship. But, not for a guy. Turn the table around and think how you would feel. You are a perfectly wonderful woman, but guys don't want to date you because you have a child. And, yes, this happens. But, as others have posted, you could be missing out on a really great guy.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:32 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't think it's weird at all cause you really don't need any more entanglements or baggage to be brought into your life. And their won't be competition between you both over your biological children.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 9:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It's not weird but a little of a double standard in my opinion. I had a friend who felt this way and I told her that you can have any criteria that you want as long as you know it may take sometime to find someone that fits all of rules. BTW, she ended up marrying an older man with grown kids and now she is a young step-grandma and loves it!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• No
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• No

Answer by admckenzie at 11:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2010