how to get rid of a bad diaper rash

My 1 year old had diareah for a week. she developed this awfull diaper rash, I've used A&D ointment & desatin and they did not work. I'm currently using bagbalm it seems to be working a little bit, but my poor baby has 4 "burn" marks on her bottom....I was wondering if anybody had any ideas that I can use on her, do you think I should make her an appointment tomorrow to possibly get somthing perscribed? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Yes, I would get something prescribed. It may not be your basic diaper rash and ointments might not work at all.

I hope your little one feels better soon.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:38 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I would talk to her doctor..but for today, if you can find boudreaux's butt paste..it works wonders. It was the only thing that would work for my Godson who, because of stomach issues, had diarhea all of the time. It was the only thing we used for our son...when we occasionally used other stuff, it didn't seem to work as well.
    Zaranie

Answer by Zaranie at 10:52 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• My LO (14 mos) is just getting over diareah, his little bottom was so red with each change. We use Flander's Buttocks ointment, it's really great! There's also Beaudreax's(spelling?) Butt Paste, ti's the same as Flander's and it works well. The only severe rash my oldest DS had was a yeast infection which needed meds for the doc (it was caused by an antibiotic he was on). Also, some advice I received from the nurse when I called about my baby this time: Don't use wipes, the chemicals irritate the skin (use wash clothes or paper towels to clean). Let the skin dry completely before you apply the diaper cream. And she told me that I could put a little baking soda in his bath water and it soothes irritated skin. If doing these things don't work then I'd call the doctor, it could be a little more than just a rash.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• What diapers do you use? The chemicals in the diapers can aggravate a baby's skin...and cause rash.

Let her be naked and air her for as long as you can frequently...this really helps.

Make ure you are changing the diaper frequently too.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:40 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I agree w/ PP's. Naked as much as possible and Butt Paste. That stuff is miraculous.
    Anonymous

• I couldn't use any ointments on my children, it always made things worse, and believe it or not the best thing that I ever found was an old remedy from my grandmother and mother.
    After changing, pat dry, and apply corn starch w/ a cotton ball or tissue, That is it! w/in the first day this always helped,and by 3 days has always cleared it all up for us!
    good luck hope this helps you too!

mama of 3
    jamie
    jamiebrandon

Answer by jamiebrandon at 12:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• o'yea, and don't use babywipes! plain water is a must or the little one will be crying!
    jamiebrandon

Answer by jamiebrandon at 12:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Sounds like a Yeast Infection. The Mother of all diaper rashes!! Take her to the doctor or even the ER. You will need a presciption. I have use Monistat cream on them when I couldn't get in to the doctor and it does work. But use only if you can't get to the doctor right away and very sparingly! Also don't you baby wipes because the sting. Use a soft cloth an plain water also a soak in warm soapy bath water may help then air dry without a diaper.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 5:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Ask your doctor about "miracle butt cream" yes the prescription is actually called that! My son had a horrible rash and nothing worked to get rid of it. My doc prescribed the miracle butt cream and it started working right away. It is great stuff!
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 7:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• i asked the same question under babies 0-12 months check out the answers there. there are more answers such as using baking soda
    mommynbabygirl

Answer by mommynbabygirl at 6:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2008