Moms of children with special needs or children with health issues how do you cope?

My son has a congenital heart defect and kidney problems. He has a good prognosis, but I feel like I do so well for awhile, and then fear and anxiety grip me. I feel like I am constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop. I love him so much that it literally hurts sometimes. I wish I could just put us both in a bubble and seal out the rest of the world. It is exhausting dealing with this mentally.

natural.mama

Asked by natural.mama at 9:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• It does get overwhelming but take a deep breath and look at your son. He makes you smile everyday and loves you unconditionally. Take it one day at a time and try not to worry about tomorrow until tomorrow! That's what I do!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I couldn't imagine. I worked in mental health before decided to stay at home for now with the babies. I have no idea how some families deal with the day to day. You are going to have hard days, emotionally and mentally. And so will your child. Enjoy what you can. Take a lot of pictures, journal. Have your son participate in journaling with you, even if it is just scribbling if he is a toddler or preschooler. Those are the moments you will cherish and look back on. Remember you can't be strong all the time and allow yourself to be weak and cry on someones shoulder when you need. And always take time for yourself when you need it, to renew your own soul. It's better for you and everyone around you.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:47 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I have a child with special needs. He is ASD (autism spectrum disorder) and has to be closely monitored. Mainly because he is non-verbal. He is not a danger to himself or anyone around him. But he can find himself in less-than-safe situations if he were to wander from home. It happened, once. Now, I don't sleep unless I know he is sound asleep! Which leaves me with little to no rest most nights. It isn't quite as easy as making sure doors are locked, either. He's seventeen and quite resourceful.

Hang in there, Mama. I've come to realize that worrying is a natural part of motherhood, regardless of our childrens' health!
    Bonnie

Answer by Bonnie at 10:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Being a mother of a special needs child is a job in itself. I know, my son has Down's Syndrome and yes he does have a heart problem. Don't look it as it as if something bad is going to happen. Take it one day at a time, it's all you can do. But, don't let your fear and anxiety take a toll on you. Your child needs you. Don't be negative, think positive. Each day when you get up, tell yourself one positive thing you are learning from this. I know you love them and wouldn't trade them for the world.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2010