Pet toys

What are some good (but soft) pet toys that are hard for dogs to destroy? I swear my pup will have her toys SHREDDED within 2-3 days of getting it. She only has one that's still intact, except for the ear that she's torn off. Plus 2 rubber bones (one is similar to a kong) that she doesn't have much interest in. She gets chews as well. I have a feeling she'd probably chew through a cement block if I let her, LOL.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Pets

• For heavy chewers I recommend Kong brand (they have several styles and toughnesses for you dogs individual needs) or StarMark brand (also have a large variety and encourage interaction/extended play/mental stimulation). These toys are safe, provide some give for the teeth, but stand up to rough chewing and heavy usage. If your dog does not seem to like them, you can entice them by adding a bit of peanut butter to them, or even dog tooth paste to encourage chewing.

Avoid toys that are too soft like stuffed animals if your pet destroys these types because ingested stuffing can be very dangerous. Avoid toys like old socks because dogs often don't know the difference between their socks and yours. Avoid toys that are too hard like Nylabones because can can cause tooth fractures.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 10:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I let my dogs play with an empty milk jug until they start shredding it,then it goes to recycling.Their other toys are small stuffed toys which are fine for them as they don't chew them up.My dogs also like an old tube sock that is tied in a knot.

Tikismom
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Some dogs need to chew. As for stuffed animals I get baby toys they are made sturdier than dogs toys and the dog seems to enjoy them The thing for me is the standards for baby toys are much higher than for dog toys.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• The milk jug sounds like a good idea. I will look into seeing if I can find a good Kong or StarMark. I've given her rope toys...yeah, completely shredded, LOL. The stuffed dog she has is the only thing she seems unable to tear apart (there isn't even a hole where the ear came off, so I'm guessing the thread just came loose). I wish I could tell what company made it but the tag is all faded.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I'm ok with her chewing (and thankfully she has stayed away from our shoes!), but I need something that's sturdy that she's not going to completely tear up right away. The baby toys sound like a good idea too. Just as long as she doesn't mix them up w/ our son's toys. Still trying to teach her to leave his stuff alone.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2010