Which is worst?

Doing something wrong when you know the moral consequences? Or doing something morally wrong when you have no moral compass?

Glickstein

Asked by Glickstein at 10:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Doing something wrong when you know the moral consequences
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 10:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would have to say anytime you do something you consider wrong KNOWING it's wrong you are making a choice to do something wrong. Now, if you are doing something wrong and you either don't know it's wrong, you aren't making that choice. Someone who makes a CHOICE to do something wrong is always worse than someone who doesn't - even if they are doing the same thing...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• when your fully aware off the consequence

lilmama29113

Answer by lilmama29113 at 10:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I'd have to say having no moral compass would be worse. To me, that speaks of apathy, not ignorance, of actions. If I chose to do something wrong, knowing the consequences, that means I've weighed the pros/cons. If I don't care about the consequences, I selfishly feel no responsibility for my actions. KWIM?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• i think intention is the bigger part of what constitutes right from wrong. some people don't have a moral compass because they lack proper home training... the other is ALWAYS a choice, and i believe that our choices make up much of who we are.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:50 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Hmmm...interesting question. My first thought was that doing something that you know is wrong would be worse, but then it occurred to me that at least that person would be capable of understanding why what they did was wrong and could feel remorse and/or guilt. The person with no moral compass might actually be the worse of the two because they would not understand why it was wrong and would feel no remorse or guilt. They would have no reason to not repeat the action.

On a side note, I also have to wonder whose "moral compass" we're talking about here. Not everyone is in agreement about what is or is not "morally wrong". Someone may understand that OTHERS would feel what they are doing is "morally wrong", but they might feel that their actions ARE morally just because their definition of "morally wrong" is different.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:21 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Doing something wrong when you know the consequences. Without having any morals, you really don't know the difference between right and wrong.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:16 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• jessradtke said it perfectly!
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 3:33 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Knowingly doing wrong is the worst. In my Christian view willfully sinning is adultery against my Lord and Savior.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:16 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I agree with sabrina.

hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 6, 2010