MRIs

I have to have an mri with and without contrast tomorrow morning. And I was wondering how they do the one with contract and if they have to leave the needle in my arm while they do it? I know this probably sounds silly but I honestly don't know.

Decker

Asked by Decker at 10:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Health

• They do the without first, then pull you out (at least halfway) and inject the dye. They did not leave anything in my arm, it just took maybe a minute or less to inject.
    BandME

Answer by BandME at 10:23 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I've only ever had to have a CT Scan, but they made me drink this horrible stuff for the contrast... so at least it's just a needle and you don't have to have that awful gooey shake thing that I had to have!!

When it comes to your health, no question is silly. Glad you got a real answer :)

Good luck with the MRI.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• They will either give you a shot with dye for the contrast or have you drink a thick shake. It depends where the MRI is being done and for what reason. They will not leave the needle in, it's not done as an iv.

Best of luck to you! :-)
    Bonnie

Answer by Bonnie at 10:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My 5 year old had an MRI a few months ago, they injected a dye through an IV in her hand.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 10:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2010