Do you limit your children playing video games? How much time do you allow daily? Do you limit the type of games?

DreamGone

Asked by DreamGone at 10:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• We are a gaming family, so we don't limit the playtime in the summer. We do start 'weaning' as school get closer b/c we have strict limits during schooltime. They are only allowed to play on Saturday and Sunday during the school year and that is contigent on behavior and if they completed their school assignments.
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 7:19 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I have never limited time on video games, or tv or computer. I don't limit what he watches or plays except, no porn really. Although some movies lately are pushing the porn limit. LOL I only don't limit because I have no need to. He limits himself and does other things, like read alot and research whatever he wants to know more about. All of this unprompted.

Now, if he were one of those "zombie out" kids that zone out and don't move away for hours, then, yeah...he would have a limit.

So far, though, I have never set any limits, not even when he was 1 or 2.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:28 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• No, I don't limit my children's Video Game or TV time. However, they don't get to opt out of normal activities simply because they want to play games... They are still expected to do normal day to day things, clean up their rooms, do their chores, have family meals and whatever else we have going on that day. But their free time is their free time and as long as they aren't getting in trouble I don't see a reason to step in and decide how they should spend that time.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't in the summer, but during the school year they are only aloud to play video games or go on the computer on the weekends. I limit what they play a little. They are 13 and 11 and they are aloud a game like Call Of Duty but not one like Grand Theft Auto.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't limit because we get out and do things as a family fishing, beach, camping. the fair there is so much to do in the summer

lilmama29113

Answer by lilmama29113 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yes they earn video game time. I usually give 20 minutes per chore.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 10:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't put limits on videos games, tv, etc. They like gaming, but it's just one of many things they can choose to do with their time. When they get tired of playing (and they do, just like they get tired of doing any one thing) they go do something else. I don't need to regulate it for them. I think they played for maybe an hour today and haven't played at all the rest of the week, but other weeks they might play more. It all evens out. I don't limit the types of games they play either. They have always had the freedom to choose so they have no reason to choose anything that doesn't truly interest them. They know their likes and dislikes and they have personal boundaries that they have no interest in crossing. I discuss their choices with them and warn them if I think something will bother them, but respect their ability to choose for themselves.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 10:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• During the summer? Not really. We do a lot of activities that take us out of the house but when they are here I let them do as they like. During the school year they are only allowed to play on weekends.
    They are allowed to play any games that do not contain sex and drugs. Yes, we check them all - my husband is a gamer. We allow violent games.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• He doesn't play yet (he's only 3), but DH and I were talking about it tonight. DH was playing a game and our son kept asking "Are you playing a game?" LOL. Anyway, an hour a day. The games will be appropriate for his age level, but the type remains to be seen.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• During the summer, there isn't a strict time restriction with one exception. NO staying up all night gaming and all chores have to be done. During the school year, there is absolutely NO gaming during the school week. Weekends and holiday breaks only. And, if grades are not up to par - no gaming at all!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2010