Any thoughts on removing ovaries with your hysterectomy? I am a 43 year old mom of 4....

Having a hysterectomy. Doctor feels that I should have ovaries removed too, due to a very small spot (pre-cancerous) spot found at the top of my uterus. I am so confused about whether the ovaries are necessary. I have read about increase risk of Parkinsons and dementia. Anyone been through this?

kvn

Asked by kvn at 10:46 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Health

• If you have a spot on your uterus that's questionable, why would they remove ovaries if they don't have the same type of spot? You remove the sick part, leave the good alone. I had a "supra-cervical" hysterectomy when I was 44. Only removed the uterus. I have my cervix, tubes, ovaries. I was not near menopause, and to remove them would have caused early menopause. I'd rather have my natural hormones. There are 3 types of surgery too.....vaginal, bikini cut, laprascopic. Because I chose to keep my cervix, it couldn't be done vaginally. They attempted laprascopic but because of excessive bleeding they had to do the big belly cut. Ask him/her why they feel the need to remove ovaries. That's like saying...."you have gangrene of the hand, so we're going to remove your elbow"
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:55 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I think if you can leave the ovaries, it's better. That way you will still have your normal hormones floating around. If they take the ovaries they give you a supplemental for hormones.

My knowledge is minimal, but I would question why they want to remove the ovaries if there is only a small thing on your uterous.

Good luck.

http://www.4yourfam.com

lovin2Bme

Answer by lovin2Bme at 3:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I'd guess they want to remove the ovaries as a prevenative. Your ovaries carry your hormoans. Removal of the ovaries in a hyst, causes instant menopause. Not gradual. The hormoans they perscribe are very understudied. I know there has been some link to estrogen (perscribed), and cancer. Research it hun. Make an informed decision.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:45 AM on Oct. 6, 2008