Anyone else have insomnia?

What do you do for it? I can stay up all night... I have tried sleep aids, melatonin etc... I just want to sleep

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Health

• I just lay there with my eyes closed and everything off and eventually i fall asleep
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 10:53 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Same here
    VoteForThiago

Answer by VoteForThiago at 10:54 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• mild sleeping pills are usually enough for me but if you're not having any relief from typical methods contact your doctor about other meds
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I am an insomniac. If I'm lucky, I get an hour or two of sleep a night, but usually in the form of cat naps. I've already been to several sleep studies and nothing has been found to help me sleep yet. Not for long-term use, anyway. Definitely see a doctor!
    Bonnie

Answer by Bonnie at 10:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Ummm why not try herbal? Atleast youd be able to fall asleep and WAKE UP IN AN INSTANT IF NEED BE!
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 10:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yep. As a matter of fact I do have insomnia. I saty up late on line most nights or try to lay there and fall asleep, but end up tossing and turning. Some nights it seems like I sleep a few minutes in an hour and I am not able to stay asleep. I think my mind wanders about problems or just things in general. I think we are all stressed or excited and don't realize it and we can't sleep as a result. So you are not alone. I suffered with this same problem a few years ago and was put on Xanax and was getting too dependent on that so cold turkied off, and will never use that again. I was ok for a while, now it's back. Ugh .......... Let's hope we get some sleep tonight.
    MamaNiecey

Answer by MamaNiecey at 12:29 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• This might sound goofy, but have you ever tried meditation? I recently had trouble sleeping. It was like when I would lay down, my mind started racing, and no matter how much I tried to block out thoughts, they wouldn't stop. Then, I tried meditation, which is basically clearing your mind completely. It took practice to actually be able to do it, but once I learned to completely clear my mind and focus only on my breathing, I would fall asleep within minutes of starting. Best of luck, insomnia is the WORST.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:08 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I've also read often that you should turn off the computer at least 2 hours before attempting to sleep. It can make insomnia worse.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:09 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Nap.

The more overtired you are when you try to go to bed, the less sleep you'll get. If you take up napping several times a day (like for 20 minutes every 3 hours, or for 90 minutes every 6 hours), you'll find you are less stressed when you attempt to sleep than usual... you'll be less stressed about getting to sleep, because you'll already have been asleep today, and more rested and less frantic.

When you go to nap, don't do anything to block out the sound or light, don't get undressed and don't make any special arrangements (like turning off the phone) to stay asleep... just lie down with the intention of resting, whether your sleep or not. You may not sleep, but you need rest anyhow. Stay lying down until the phone rings (if you don't just want to lie through it ringing away, which you can do if you want) or until you decide you're rested enough to get on with something else. Repeat every few hours. All day & night.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I keep a pad of paper near the bed and write down stuff that is going through my head when I wake up. It helps "put it away" until the next day. The more I have going on the more it helps. My friend swears by sleeptime tea. I have not tried it. I do have a set routine every night and have read that is very helpful. It is getting better for me. Good luck
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2010