Kidney Reflex?

Has your child had Kidney Reflex? What did you do for treatment? Are you happy with the course you choose?

We just learn today that our daughter, 8, may have Kidney Reflex. We will be going to the Children's Hospital soon, to have testing done, to confirm the Pediatric Urologist feeling.

I DO NOT want true medical advice, because I will leave that for my doctor. I was just really curious if you have gone through this, what course of action did you take, and if you were happy with that choice?

FYI: Kidney Reflex is when the urine leaves the bladder and goes up the tubes back into the kidneys. The normal course of urine is from the kidneys to the bladder and out the body.

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 10:58 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son was diagnosed with kidney reflux at 9 months old after 2 bladder infections. They told me that it was a moderate case and that he would probably out grow it by the time he was 2 yrs old. They put him on a prophylactic dose of antibiotics until he was re-evaluated at 2 yrs. When he had the test again at 2 yrs it was gone, and he went off the antibiotics.

I now know more about possible problems from over use of antibiotics and wonder if that was the only or best way to deal with it. I sometimes wonder if he really needed to be on antibiotics that whole time.

He is 10yrs now and totally fine!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:51 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yes, my son had mild kidney reflux. His resolved on it's own. The only reason we knew about it was because he had an abdominal u/s that showed a prominence in his left renal collecting system.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:30 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I don't have any experience, but here's a bump for you!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2010