would my husband be wrong to charge his grandparents a monthly payments to stay at his house?

My husband and I have been staying with his grandparents for a while now. The house is under my husband's name and he pays all the bills. We no longer are going to live there and feel as dough they should give us something a month only because we just can't afford two homes. His family expects for him to pays everything since he's the bread winner. I don't think its fair but I feel like I don't have a say since I'm a stay at home mom. Please help!

sofia16

Asked by sofia16 at 11:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• No I don't think its wrong. People can't get everything handed to them. I would go with what they can afford though.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 11:04 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Thanks a lot, that's exactly what we were thinking. We just needed someone's else's outlook on it.
    sofia16

Comment by sofia16 (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I agree with stressedmomma. I don't think you guys should foot the bill for 2 homes...especially if one of them is being lived in by other people. However, I wouldn't charge them an arm or leg to live there. Just something that would help you guys out and wouldn't make the grandparents upset or uncomfortable paying either.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:13 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If they stayed some where else they would have to come out of pocket. So yes they should have to pay if they want to stay.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 1:06 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Well idk, are the grandparents really old and need help? Alot of elderly dont get much from medicare and things like that. I understand your side too, but I'm just thinking about if they really need the help more kwim? We were paying for my grandmothers rent before she passed away and I know she really appreciated it. But a house is alot different than apartment, so I'm sure its alot to take on for your family. If you really need to ask them to pay, dont feel bad if youre really left with no choice. Good luck
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 3:27 AM on Aug. 6, 2010