Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So my son's father just started coming around a couple months ago, and everytime he and his girlfriend come to visit, she questions my parenting decisions. I want to tell her to mind her own business, but I don't want there to be problems between them and myself, for the baby's sake. Any sugeestions on how to handle in a drama free manner?


Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (15)
  • If she's being offensive about it I would talk to him about the situation when she's not around. However, if she's just giving input because she doesn't know any better I'd say something like, "I really appreciate your idea, but I've been doing this and this is what works for my child and me." That way you don't come off like you don't respect her, and you're also reminding her which one's the mom. :)

    Answer by MissViki at 3:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • Tell him to tell her to butt out. If he's just started coming back around who is he OR she to tell you what to do? And, if he's going to get mad at you for saying something and take his GF's side over yours and not see the baby because of, your child is better off without him.

    Answer by Jessy0419 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • No matter how you handle this situation, it can easily get out of hand. But the best way to handle it, I believe, is to sit down with both of them without your son and calmly explain that you don't want to cause drama because of your son..but it really bothers you when she comments on your parenting skills. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that their response will be equally as calm...but all you can do is try to be as respectful as possible.


    Answer by Zaranie at 10:59 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • Just ignore her. Some people always think they know everything. Best thing to do is ignore it, and that way it won't cause problems.

    Answer by Kat122 at 11:02 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • I would flat out tell her that how you raise your child is none of her business and I would let your ex know that if she can't mind her own business she will not be allowed to come over with him. Your house, your child, your rules.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:02 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • Well you can either ignore her, Or put your foot down and remind her who the mom is. She is not raising your child and unless what you are doing is hurting your child then she should back off. does she have children? Does she know how to raise a child?

    Answer by jessicamelia83 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • Tell HIM that if she can't keep quiet that she shouldn't come around. Simply put. That is you and HIS child. Not hers.


    Answer by LyTe684 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • When she comments - say when you have your children you should do that, but I wish to do things with my child this way. I am sorry you have a problem with it, but it is your problem and i would appreciate you respecting my wishes when it comes to making decisions in my childs life, as i am his mother.

    Or poitely talk to her about it...because as your kid gets older and stays with his dad...which may happen..she may go against your wishes. Don't be harsh, just explain that you are willing to listen to her concerns, but really you are doing whats best for your child and that she needs to respect this for the sake of your child.

    I would normally say ignore it, because its her problem and not yours...but if it could effect your child in future then you have to it with both of them so she feels less threatened.

    Answer by keyaziz at 11:33 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • i would tell him that if she cant respect your parenting choises she needs to not come around, explain you dont have a problem with her being around and you understand that she is a part of his life however, this is not her child sorry bout her luck.

    Answer by mommie2twogirls at 12:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • If she makes a comment or statement, just either ignore it & change the subject or say "That's interesting, I'll have to give that some thought" and then change the subject. Of course, you aren't going to think about it (unless you want to). If she asks a question say "I'd rather not discuss that right now" and change the subject. Or if you don't mind answering, give a brief answer & change the subject.

    Answer by GwenMB at 12:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

Next question in General Parenting
Now he claims its me!!

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
I NEED sleep!