47 with a period lasting longer then 11 days help! adult content

my mom is 47 and her period is on its 11th day and still going strong .. could there be something really wrong? she doesn't have cramps or any other symptoms , it just wont stop!! lol do you know whats going on? has this happened to you ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Health

• LOL! Yeah. I am 46, trust me it's normal. What it is is the beginning of menopause. She might go this long one month and then skip several months until it adjusts itself. Luckily, mine have pretty much stopped now. Tell her to hang in there, she'll hopefully be done soon!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• menopause...it'll go on whenever it wants to at that time...my mom is almost 50 and has been on hers for like 2yrs now, she hates it, she never knows when she's off and when it'll come back
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Menopause means different things to different women. But don't let it go too long, she could become anemic. I'd go see a doctor to be sure.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:07 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I do remember my mom complaining about "monster periods" when she was starting menopause. Periods that went on and on!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:22 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I agree with it being a sign of Menopause. My aunt has the same issue with her period right now. However, to be safe, she needs to see her gyno and make sure to eat iron-rich foods to help her body continue to work right.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 5:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yeah I had that happen to me last year. I am 47 too. I had my period for a month. It was really starting to get to me. So I went to the dr. they did all sorts of tests and showed nothing. I was low on iron. Duh, so I take iron. I had several tests to see if I was in menopause turns out I have lots of eggs. So who knows. Make sure to tell your mother to take an iron supplement. I take the slo fe. It is the easiest on the tummy. SHe also needs to take calcium.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 7:08 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• women who have heavy periods like this and are not wanting to have anymore children can have a uterine oblation(not spelling it right I'm sure). It should be covered by INS. since anemia, and other complications can arise from this extended loss of blood. If you don't know what it is here goes. The doctor dilates your uterus, places a steaming hot bag of saline inside ( you do not feel this) of the uterus and essentially cauterizes all of the little blood vessels inside of the uterus and it burns the endometrial layer of tissue that usually sheds during your period. This stops your periods, with the exception of a spot or two once in awhile. Women who have had this done have no complaints and love having no periods!

Joy118

Answer by Joy118 at 11:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2010