Ideas to scare a thief away!!!

We just recently moved into a new townhome complex, about 3 weeks ago. and we just found out there have been 4 break-ins recently. we have two doors, and both have a lock and a bolt lock on it and an alarm system but the alarm system isnt set up yet we have to wait until next week! yikes! we are leaving the light on during the night on the back porch. its a small area not fenched in or nothing. but the area is brand new and very nice u would never think people would break in around here.. but we were wrong, and im 7mnths pregnant and terrified to stay home alone when hubby is at work. what can we do to scare away a thief> any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Since this is in the "Just for Fun" section, I say, offer to let the theif "steal" your stretch marks...or grab your stomach and go "Thank god you're here...I think my water just broke"
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• a wooden base ball bat, a gun, a big dog
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I just saw somewhere that instead of pepper spray get a large can of hornet spray. It is a really great idea because it burns the eyes just as bad but it sprays farther and has alot in a can. It is cheap too. I carry a can with me on stroller rides, can be used to scare off a mean dog or wild animal. We also have a can right next to the bed. It is alot safer than having a gun in the house.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• lol! maureen <3

really there isnt a lot you can do aside from locking the doors and making it look like someone is actively awake and walking around.. unless you actually wanna stay up at night... :| good luck tho
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 11:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Shoot them....well that might be a bit much...there are some home stores that sell dog barking devices but honestly simply by keeping the light on you are already detering them because no one wants to break in some place that is well lit. You might also leave the TV on so if someone is thinking about it they will see that someone is home, if you can't sleep you can put it on mute. Are the signs already up for your home security system? I had an ADT one that I got from an abandoned house and I put it in my yard without actually having ADT and several of the houses on my block got broken into over the holidays while they were out of town but mine didn't. I wish you the best of luck though and I'm sorry you are scared in your new house.
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 11:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Go to Walgreens and pick up touch alarms for like 6 bucks each. You mount them on the doors and when the door opens, it lets out an ear-piercing alarm. I can't find them on the Walgreens site, but here's a couple more Homedepot:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh0/R-100657613/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh0/R-202326677/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:25 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Oh, and mount them at face level. Anyone who opens your door and hears that thing going off right at his face will run like hell and it will get the attention of everyone around the place.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Post some "Beware of Dog" signs on some wood stakes near your front door and the path you would take to get to the back porch.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:27 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• At night leave your keys by your night stand so when you hear some thing just click your alarm on your vehicle and don't turn it off until the cops come or you feel the robbers left. GL I pray you won't get robbed. Take Care!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Don't be consistent with your routine. Leave on different inside lights, turn the outside light on at different times, get an alarm sticker for your windows and sign for your yard since that scares them off. Good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2010