One Watery Eye

My one month old's left eye is draining (gooey and green, like boogers) and is watery all the time. I noticed it when we took him to his grandparent's house, they have a lot of pets and I'm starting to think he may be allergic to dogs. My mother-in-law told me to try putting some of my breastmilk into his eye, I've tried it, but it doesn't seem to work. Is there anyone else who's babies had their eye/s draining like that?

aserran4

Asked by aserran4 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• MY NEICE DID AND THE PED TOLD HER IT WAS A CLOGGED TEAR DUCT. TRY GENTLY MASSAGING IT WITH A WARM COMPRESS SEVERAL TIMES A DAY AND KEEP IT CLEAN. I'D CALL MY PED CAUSE I AM NEUROTIC THAT WAY. GOOD LUCK!
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 12:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• My little guys have always been leaky... and sometimes they get gooey. We Have Gentamycin drops that we use from time to time and it clears up.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• same thing happened to my little one when he was about 2 or 3 months. Same thing, it was a clogged tear duct and to just lightly massage it with a warm wet cloth. It took about a week but went away! Normal as long as it doesn't get red and irritated (pink eye is definitely something you want to take care of!)
    Basically, i think they are just getting their tear duct so soon, when your baby cries, it will make you feel that much worse because they will be tearing!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 2:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2008