Clothes budget?

How much does everyone usually budget for clothes for the new season? My son is almost 2 and i HATE spending money on clothes that he grows out of so quick...so what's a good budget or number of outfits?

shortleo

Asked by shortleo at 11:55 PM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't have any idea how much I spend on my son for clothes.... but I always try to find really good deals. I almost never buy anything full price, always check out the clearance racks. Something I but at the end of the season when things are like $3 and stock up on things for next year. I shop a lot at places like Once Upon A Child. I tend to get things a little bit big so that they last longer.
    And then with summer things for my son, I have found he can fit into a lot of what he wore the year before... he gets taller but not wider for the most part.... so he wears 2T shirts and pants but for his summer things he's in a lot of last years size 12-18 month clothes. SO that saved a ton of money being able to reuse those things.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:26 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I spend about 250 per child for fall/winter. that includes sneakers, boots, 2 coats. And I try to get AT LEAST 6 pairs of jeans, 4 pairs of athletic pants, 10 tops, and 5 sets of PJs. I generally will get several more items than that with my money but that's our bare bones wardobe. I get our jeans at either Old Navy or Childrens Place when they are 2 for $22. Athletic pants and tops come from Old Navy, Childrens Place or Kohls. Coats I get at Sam's Club. They are last years styles from London Fog or Osh Kosh but they are sold @ $20 a piece. Shoes and Boots I generally get at Kohls.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:04 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My rule of thumb is I will not pay more than $5 per clothing item. DS grows too fast to pay more than that. I try to have at least 14 outfits since laundry is diffculty when we have to share withthe complex.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 12:07 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Honestly I usually spend 200-300 per clothing age range. Maybe a little more. I shop online at OldNavy.com and Gap.com and I use promo codes. I make sure that whatever I am buying is dirt cheap and I stock up =). Then I hit Ross for onesies and Childrens Place for socks and stockings.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 11:57 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I got a lot of hand me downs from a friend who had triplets and didnt have to buy much since she was born. She is 17 months old now and the handme downs run out after these clothes are over with the season. So thank you for asking this question. I will be anxious to see what the responses are.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:12 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Thank goodness for grand parents! My son grows way to quickly, so they go shopping about every three months. And I buy him all his socks and underwear, and shoes. Its nice having that help.
    Shawnie8187

Answer by Shawnie8187 at 12:19 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• my daughter is 2 and I get alot of deal I am not sure how much I spend but no more than $200 for each season. She is small and doesn't grow as fast as most...LOL Mostly just height so she wears everything for the full season except maybe shoes. She will still wear 2 when winter starts.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:01 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I buy off season and stock up. Like when winter goes to spring the stores sell for cheap. I would say I spend between $150-$250. I also love Once Upon A Child. The one I go to is right down the street from one of the nicest neighborhoods in the county and alot of the stuff still has tags! I shop cheap b/c he grows so fast. he is 2 1/2, will be 3 in Dec., and already wears a 4T and size 10 almost 11 shoes.
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 1:14 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I have no clue! My strategy is this - whenever I am out somewhere that sells kids clothes, I buy one thing. Each time I go to Walmart or Target I buy a Tshirt or a pack of socks or whatever. I also go to thrift stores and have found really good stuff there for cheap. I look at everything my son's size and larger because that awesome batman tshirt for $1 is going to fit him someday so I might as well buy it. I found his new winter coat for $3 and it doesn't look like its ever been worn. I don't ever want to be in the position where I need to drop a couple hundred bucks on an entire wardrobe all at once, at least not until he is much older.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:51 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• buy a size bigger for everything if he really grows fast, especially pjs, theyr more comfy loose fitting anyways
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 6:54 AM on Aug. 6, 2010