My personal style...

So... I'm 25 years old, and expecting my husband and I's 1st baby (a girl!) in 10 weeks. I've ALWAYS (for about 12 years) been a metal-head, punk-rock girl (dyed black hair, lots of eyeliner, red lips, tattoos, clothing with skulls all over it). Ever since I got pregnant, my family (even strangers) ask if I'm going to "tone down" my appearance and "look like a mom." Well, why does "looking like a mom" mean khakis and polo shirts? How do I get people to lay off, and better yet, get them to understand that I'm not a "bad" parent because of how I choose to look?

Kassey713

Asked by Kassey713 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• (continued...blah)
    Srsly? Good lord. I think we should revolt! I HATE khaki and I HATE polo shirts. I refuse to become a soccer mom with a minivan. I think what my family fears the most is our daughter "becoming like us". So what? If she does, she does. If she hates our look and becomes a preppy little princess, that's fine too. Tell your family that YOU are the future, and YOU don't have to do what they say. There is no "template" for what a mom should look like. Be confident in your style and give them the middle finger if they say otherwise. Good luck mama :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Oh your fine! My sister style is just like yours.. and they make cute pink skull and hearts shirts for babies...lol I think it is ok as long as you are doing a good job raising your little sweetie and I am sure you will.. Its just ppl are use to the same ol' same ol' and when the see something or a style that is unlike there normal they na' say!
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 11:34 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Tell them to eff off :D
    My boyfriend and I have a similar style to yours, just a bit toned down from the way you describe it. I have dark brown, almost black (dyed) hair and wear mostly black stuff and my boyfriend has lots of crazy rock band shirts with skulls and nails and crap on them. Nobody in my family has specifically told me to "tone my look down", but I have had a few people tell me to NOT dye my hair black again, to let it grow out back to my natural mousy ugly ass brown color. They say it makes me look "goth", and that "goth" is not attractive on a mom. I'm having my first baby (a girl too yay!) in December =D

caitxrawks

• You look any way that you want!! Taking good care of your baby is the most important part. Don't worry about how they think you look. Good luck with the baby and I hope you found a black diaper bag! LOL!
    Carol1260

Answer by Carol1260 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Hey.... sometimes you can't help but become a soccer mom with a minivan!! Or a football/baseball mom with a SUV that seats 7! Thats me, but I am far from stereotypical. My kids and I listen to metal and alternative and we all wear skulls and I have tatts. I could give a rats ass what the other moms think and my family knows if they try to change me I'll just do it more! Hot Topic carries baby clothes, btw.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 1:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Stay true to who you are. Don't tone down anything. You don't have to loss yourself because your a mom.
    wilbursdaughter

Answer by wilbursdaughter at 1:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• People should know not to judge a book by its cover. You be what you want to be. As far as how Moms dress, I think it is just more an age appropriate question. I still wear blue jeans alot. But don't compromise your style because you are going to be a Mom. Just be you but think about what you want to project.
    treece

Answer by treece at 4:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Put it on a T-shirt and wear the damn thing to every function you can think of...... for real; 'people' are just horrible sometimes...... you be who you are darlin and you let everyone else just sit back and wish they had the balls to fit into their own skin instead of the skin society chose for them... You go girl ... You rock!
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Even if you looked like a Stepford Wife people would still criticize you. It seems like every person who has had a baby (and an alarming number of people who havent) has an opinion about we young mothers. You don't have to change the way you look for anybody- and you definately don't need to make anyone 'understand' that you are a good parent. Although it is hard to deal with strangers continual questioning- just know that you'll be great and your daughter will be lucky to have a mother who instills in her the value of being herself.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I totally agree with you! I used to have my nose, tongue, and an industrial piercing and took the nose and tongue out because of how other people are. I thought it would seem innappropriate for me to have that style and be a mom. I've even cut my hair shorter and darker instead of long and two tone blonde!
    K_Coleman

Answer by K_Coleman at 8:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2008